Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange phenomenon - D Capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 09 2004,11:50)]How do you transplant multiple times without doing damage to the roots/plants. I have to learn how. Whats the green rods growing out of your bog? Liverworts? Looks like the ones in one of my pots...

Anyway, is distilled water essential for sowing seeds in water, or can I use boiled or unboiled water? Does sowing on LFS with or without perlite underneath promote algal growth?

Jason
    Transplant from distilled water to cp mix is as easy as catching dead fish from shallow water.

When transplanting to bog, I would scoop the cp mix with seedlings on it, dug a depression in the bog mix, and place into the depression, with minimum root disturbances.

Other forms of water may either contain mineral, micro-nutrient or pathogens. Distilled water is totally without impurity is therefore preferred for sowing seeds in water, providing trouble free environment to give seedling a head start before exposure to competition.

The green rods is some kind of moss, I think.

JK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi JK, what are the dimensions of your bog? Rather, what do u use as the bog?

So, ur procedure for sowing seeds is to first float them on distilled water before transferring the germinated seed to the bog?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Feb. 29 2004,23:34)]Seeing that my d.capensis is about 2 inch tall, I reckoned that it should be exposed to sunlight. So, I placed it at my east-facing window. Now, guess what?

The newer leaves are smaller and are pale yellowish green!!! What's going on? I've got no idea but it was fine under florescent lights for the past 3-4 months. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

It's back in my tank and I'm keeping it there! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif[/img]
    Cindy,
    It may overheat to the roots,i use cool distill water for my small capensis everyday,they grow well. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

rex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi eBeyonder

What bog? Please click this previous thread
    here

Yes, I sow seeds in or float on a few mm of distilled water, alternatively on a piece of very wet (with distilled water) facial cotton, both in covered transparent containers under bright indirect sunlight

JK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

rex,

When do you water your plant with the cool distilled water and how cool is cool? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I suspect the plant is just a tad unhappy with the sudden increase in light and the drop in humidity.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Mar. 11 2004,00:08)]rex,

When do you water your plant with the cool distilled water and how cool is cool? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I suspect the plant is just a tad unhappy with the sudden increase in light and the drop in humidity.
    Cindy,
    I spray them with cool distilled water in the morning and evening,the water is from my company's drinking water machine,"Watson Distilled Water"Yes,i grow them in my office.i am not sure how cool is it,the pot always standing on water.I don't put the baby plants directly to the sunlight,mature is no problem!

The roots of your plants may be hurted,you should place them away from stronge sunlight.

rex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Cindy,
    I think the sudden change of you capensis when introduced to sunlight was a result of a sudden increase in light intensity. Sun (especially in Singapore) is MUCH more intense than flourescents.
    I have found that my capensis don't like it to be too humid for too long, at least not without good air circulation. They also don't like to be too hot for too long (so cooling off at night will help with that problem).
    If you wanted to windowsill grow one, I would suggest that you start it out in a window that only get one or two hours of early morning or late evening sun for a few weeks, then gradually increase the amount of sun. These are sunworshiping plants, but will get "soft" if grown under fluorescents....
    Cheers!
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man I just had some D capensis germinate...now I don't know which ones they are because I oh so stupidly mixed them up with D spatulata...its important to keep the plant's identity, right?

BTW, should I transplant the seeds at this stage...they're on LFS...some of them are so small that they haven't fully gotten out of their cotyledons yet!
    When, how, and into what mix should I transplant them in? Will algae engulf seedlings after germination (are they dangerous?), or will they only engulf seeds before germination, cuz I think some of my seedlings are growing on the algae covered sphagnum moss itself.

Sorrry...too many questions again?

Jason

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast