What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange phenomenon - D Capensis

Cindy

Staff member
Seeing that my d.capensis is about 2 inch tall, I reckoned that it should be exposed to sunlight. So, I placed it at my east-facing window. Now, guess what?

The newer leaves are smaller and are pale yellowish green!!! What's going on? I've got no idea but it was fine under florescent lights for the past 3-4 months.
sad.gif

It's back in my tank and I'm keeping it there!
mad.gif

mad.gif

rock.gif
mad.gif
 The D. cap curse!

I didn't know anyone from singapore still grew D.capensis, I thought it was hard to grow and nobody bothered to spend time growing a plant that was suited for other climate (not singaporean climate for sure). Can anyone recommend a suitable soil mix...I just recieved some seeds from abroad and getting scared because of all the talk that D.cap won't grow well in singapore.

Thanks,
Jason

This is an old photo. It's even better looking now...until I left it to receive some sunlight...

ant_on_capensis3rs.jpg

Never mind if it's destined to be in a terrarium...as long as it grows well.
tounge.gif

My cap often looks like this after flowering or if it's in shock. I suppose it's cooler due to draft or temps outside the terrarium. Give it some time to recover - maybe two months or so unless it goes downhill too quickly. Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to take some leaf cuttings so you don't lose the plant entirely!
smile.gif

My three D. caps are still languishing, but are too stubborn to die
rock.gif

Mine did flourish for a while, but still died in the end. I suspect it's becos towards the end of their tiny lives, I had neglected to bring them into the aircon room every night, thereby leading to their eventual death.

Cindy, if you take a quick look at the post I introduced, called, D. capensis - a forgiving plant? (or something to that effect), in the Drosera Forum, I mentioned that I took my perfectly contented capensis from home to work and nearly killed it. Of course it was only a 6 minute drive to work but it was also 15 degrees outside - and not much warmer in the car. By lunchtime most of its leaves withered. I then put it in a glorified terrarium set up, with a bunch of other CP's - and waited. a few days later a new leaf appeared. Then another... and then another. Within a few weeks it looked like two completely different plants, one on top of the other. Now, several weeks after that, it looks healthy - better than it did when I bought it. From other posts of similar experiences with other CP's, it seems you take your chances when you move a CP, particularly when it results in a significant change in temperature and / or humidity.

I couldn't agree with you more, jimscott. A few days of indirect sunlight was all it took for my capensis to turn for the worse. Now it's back to under the florescent lights but it's kind of stunned.
sad.gif
The newer leaves are still pale and yellow.
rock.gif

I have only the experience with the one capensis but I had a similar one with a P. primuliflora. I bought it after work from Lowes and left it in the car (not too bright), with the cover on. It was still reasonably warm out. I brought it to work and by the next day it had withered. So I kept it covered for a few days and it rehydrated. New leaves formed and today it is flowering and doing the plantlet thing. Perhaps everybody's situation has variables that are slightly different, but I have had great luck /skill with keeping a lid on a plant for a few days and providing it with some semlance of stable conditions until it has a chance to recover from my stupidity. Give it some more time. Let us know of its progress.

The return of the D. capensis curse! I have a whole pot of D. capensis 'narrow leaf' seedlings for the past two months and they remained like that. Just seedlings with their cotyledons and the first two leaves. What up?
rock.gif
rock.gif

But I remember a thread on the "slowness" of capensis seedlings...then POW! they will just grow and grow and grow!

let's see if I can find it...

got it!

http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....apensis

Don't give up...
tounge.gif

Hi Singapore,

Picture of one the many Red capensis that I have grown from seeds (second try), first sown in distilled water, transferred to cp mix in microwave container after germination then again transferred to a community bog after 2 true leafs

Copy%20of%20P1010164.JPG

The first try on red failed badly, sown directly on cp mix in microwave container over came by algae. I think the red seed came from an old source, sowing in distill water first cut down exposure to imperfect conditions.

I also have narrow and albino (fresh seed) that were sown on cp mix in microwave container, than transferred to 4”pot as well as community bog after 2 true leafs, guess what? Seedlings in pot are not doing well, but doing fantastic in the bogs, which are under direct sunlight for as much as 3~~4 hours in the morning.

The main different between pot and bog are:

Bog
Mix is older (less algae problem) and wetter, evenly moist
Humidity is higher, evaporation is more even.  
I also suspect the mix temperature is lower in bog; all are white non-drain container, with large mix volume and water mass and smaller container surface area helps

I prefer growing CP in bog,

1. It takes less space for a given growing area
2. It is easier to water and maintain  

JK

Oh my ### ...Jalan Kayu! Wow, I'm hoping that my capensis will look like yours someday. Today I just sowed some fresh capensis seed that I got from abroad.
smile.gif

How do you transplant multiple times without doing damage to the roots/plants. I have to learn how. Whats the green rods growing out of your bog? Liverworts? Looks like the ones in one of my pots...

Anyway, is distilled water essential for sowing seeds in water, or can I use boiled or unboiled filtered water? Does sowing on LFS with or without perlite underneath promote algal growth?

How come the seeds that I recieved from Guqin and JK not growing...tow months already...maybe cuz not fresh (kept too long)...or maybe cuz algae covered half the container worth of sphagnum moss...darn! Don't know why...rainwater?

Jason

Yippee!!!...my 100th post! What, it took me that long to reach post 100? When I first started I thought...how the #### was I going to get to that many posts
biggrin.gif
(even now!) Oh well, at least I finally did it...Never mind (You all must be thinking what ridiculous thing to be happy about) (how childish!)
I won't disturb you all baout this until five hundred...
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

wink.gif

Thanks,
tounge.gif

Jason

Phew! Tired, going to bed...dreaming about carnivorous plants
tounge.gif

(101...)
tounge.gif

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 09 2004,11:50)]How do you transplant multiple times without doing damage to the roots/plants. I have to learn how. Whats the green rods growing out of your bog? Liverworts? Looks like the ones in one of my pots...

Anyway, is distilled water essential for sowing seeds in water, or can I use boiled or unboiled water? Does sowing on LFS with or without perlite underneath promote algal growth?

Jason
Transplant from distilled water to cp mix is as easy as catching dead fish from shallow water.

When transplanting to bog, I would scoop the cp mix with seedlings on it, dug a depression in the bog mix, and place into the depression, with minimum root disturbances.

Other forms of water may either contain mineral, micro-nutrient or pathogens. Distilled water is totally without impurity is therefore preferred for sowing seeds in water, providing trouble free environment to give seedling a head start before exposure to competition.

The green rods is some kind of moss, I think.

JK

Hi JK, what are the dimensions of your bog? Rather, what do u use as the bog?

So, ur procedure for sowing seeds is to first float them on distilled water before transferring the germinated seed to the bog?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Feb. 29 2004,23:34)]Seeing that my d.capensis is about 2 inch tall, I reckoned that it should be exposed to sunlight. So, I placed it at my east-facing window. Now, guess what?

The newer leaves are smaller and are pale yellowish green!!! What's going on? I've got no idea but it was fine under florescent lights for the past 3-4 months.  
sad.gif

It's back in my tank and I'm keeping it there!
mad.gif
Cindy,
It may overheat to the roots,i use cool distill water for my small capensis everyday,they grow well.  
biggrin.gif

rex

Hi eBeyonder

What bog? Please click this previous thread
here

Yes, I sow seeds in or float on a few mm of distilled water, alternatively on a piece of very wet (with distilled water) facial cotton, both in covered transparent containers under bright indirect sunlight

JK

Back