What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singaporeans: D. adelae anyone?

Mt new terrarium still under construction, i only have 2 blue trays and 3 can fit in the terarium, also i forgot to add to cover up the opening I bought a a plastic sheet and cut it to size so that i can flop it up and down when i want to attend to my plants, I cut 2 holes for air circulation, one on the top right hand corner for hot air to exit and one on the bottom left hand corner for cool air to enter. The holes are not in this pic because the plastic is flopped up
024_G.sized.jpg

This is my growing shelve, top is neps, middle is new terrarium, bottom is old terrarium

032_G.sized.jpg

zoom-in in first tray
026_G.sized.jpg

laugh.gif

That's a nice looking terrarium, wezx! I wanted one as well, but the cost of the lights really put me off. So my present "terrarium" (a fish tank) is lighted by the sun
smile.gif
The plants don't seem to mind!

hey ebeyonder the sea monkeys are the ones sold at toy saur us and terresa Yeo showed me a huge one
wow.gif

You can build a 72W PL light e ballast quite easily for half the price, thats what i did, I have the pics, ill post them soon

Wow I just found out that posting pics is not as troublesome as I thought!

My DIY light, i did it mainly for fun
DIY_light_3.sized.jpg

DIY_light_2.sized.jpg

I know it's prob mentioned somewhere b4, but how much are the lights? And for that matter, the sea monkeys? Are they sold in commercial packaging or well, separately, monkey by monkey?

Another query about sea monkeys...from me.
smile.gif
The brine shrimp eggs from aquarium shops hatch easily but the adults die easily too. I've tried sea monkeys, they hatched but never got to become adults! Question is, are the ones you saw tougher? I'm thinking of getting the children to cultivate some on the topic of life cycle.
tounge.gif

ummm... they looked quite easy to take care of but im not sure about it, call Terresa Yeo at 65827768 or email at jafterdi@singnet.com.sg she usually takes about 1 or 2 days to reply. She will be able to tell you everything. HEY CINDY, Teresa sets up school experiments like what you thought of doing. You can ask her for any type of experiment and she will probably have it, I asked her for tissue culture jelly but her source was out of town.

those sea monkeys look interresting, maybe i should get one but i think it takes a while for them to grow and reproduce and stuff
smile.gif

You can buy really large ones from the fish shop at Clementi. They sell the brine shrimps for people to feed to their luohans! Anyway, it appears that the luohan craze had died down. Thank goodness for that! BTW, Cindy you could also try another animal that could be hatched, grow and breed ewasily in freshwaters. These animal has hardly change from the time of the dinosaurs and are quite wierd, werider than brine shrimps in my opinion. They are call Triops and some online company sells them.
smile.gif

hehe...

wezx:
thanks. I'll email Theresa and ask for more details. I would like the kids to see the whole life cycle.

guqin:
I bought the ones at Clementi for my puffer. In the end I was way too intrigue to use them as feed. I'll probably consider getting these if it's too difficult to hatch them from eggs. Let me research on Triops...
wow.gif

Cindy, you have a puffer fish? Wow, where can I get one of those? Anyway, if u hear from Theresa re the sea monkeys, cld u post the info here? I'm also interested in these creatures.

I got some triops from London last year; they're like horseshoe crabs, only much smaller. I haven't actually hatched mine cos they apparently die within a few mths of hatching, so I really want to save them till Singapore starts selling them
smile.gif

And lol, how did D.adelae become sea moneys?
biggrin.gif
Anyway, JK has kindly told me that the total fixed costs from Bestcarnivores would be EUR 17 max. I can't say here how this number is arrived at here cos it's too complicated to explain. Hopefully if sufficient people are interested, we can organise something.
smile.gif

Is that 17 EUR for all the shipping costs and CITIES maxed? that isn't so bad, i thought it would cost alot more

puffers are brackish right? ive seen them for sale in markets be4

Not all puffers live in brackish water. There are a few species from Asia, India, Africa and the tropical Americas are true freshwater species. The very small ones you see in the aquarium shops that are deep golden brown in colour with some black patterning are the freshwater ones from India. Difficult to keep alive. Need fresh food, small live freshwater shrimp (Caridina sp.) would be best.

Those puffers that are greenish in colour with black spots are brackish.

laugh.gif
d.adelae to sea monkeys to puffers! Seems CPers here have more in common than CPs only.
wink.gif

My "PUFFY" - that's what the kids called it, died from mis-care. It survived about 6mths without a filter and bloated twice when I was changing its water. Come to think of it, it got sick after the bloating. It's a figure-of-eight puffer, very docile and loves dried shrimps. I had a scat keep it company for a while and poor puffy's tail got bitten instead. So mild, right? I miss it and probably won't like another puffer like I liked him/her (umm...can't tell).
sad.gif
I have some videos of it. Such memories...<sob><sob> Oops, better fight back tears...have got class in 30 minutes.
cool.gif

Are you guys ordering seeds or plants?
Since I've found a good spot in my house to grow pings, and that FEF seem to discontinue bringing in pings, I'll like to order more pings(plants n not seeds) from best carnivores. I wouldn't mind ordering some dentate as well.

guqin: BTW, my P.esseriana from our orders last Dec, is still alive, thnx to the non-organic media you recommended
laugh.gif

I would like some Pings and different variaties of VFTs as well

vistary: nice website and VFTs! about the 'online sale' how much are they roughly? how big are they? i might be interrested, do we pick up the plants from your house?
also out of curiostity does anyone from singapore actually buy them?

thanks

Ok guys, looks like we have some interest in ordering from Best Carnivores, which is excellent. Perhaps we want to wait till May, which is like their summer so that it's easier to ship? Also, I recall reading the guqin and someone else would only be around in May.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ Mar. 31 2004,5:12)]I would like some Pings and different variaties of VFTs as well

vistary: nice website and VFTs! about the 'online sale' how much are they roughly? how big are they? i might be interrested, do we pick up the plants from your house?
also out of curiostity does anyone from singapore actually buy them?

thanks
my biggest trap is about 2.5cm
Actually, i'm selling off the extras to recoup back the amount that i've spent. My friend actually brought them in from overseas.
Anyway, there's no more extras left for the moment.. people seem to prefer the exotic ones as compared to the typical.
Since you guys are my friends, i wouldn't mind doing trading or spare you some seedlings when the extras come.
I've a few tiny piranhas(<1cm) that I'm willing to give. I'll make a post after April(exams);
Anyway, here is my favourite(shark tooth):
129833855qpGlSz_ph.jpg

Hey can anyone tell me whats going on...I'm getting confused...why you all talking 'bout sea monkeys and VFTs at the same time? Also, what this about ordering from overseas...I WANT IN!
tounge.gif
wink.gif

(Stay off the boards for a week, and see what you miss?) Seems like I have to sacrifice more than time to study...I have exams coming up, no time to chat.

Phew...so tired...going to bed
(typed this at 12.50 in the morning)
...zzzzzzzz

Jason

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention Teresa Yeo sells Triops, or the thing guqin was mentioning, saw it in a package ("ancient Tyrannosourus Rex!)
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Jason

Great! Is her shop online?

Back