Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's 30 deg.C (88 deg.F)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you know herre in Australia we keep pygmy sundew growing thoughout spring and summer. While keep them lighly shade ( they do colour best under sun but not in a greenhouse.) the main trick is to keep the water level on the pots contant and steady around 2cm thoughout spring and summer.
    Another thing Pygmy sundews have roots that reach 20cm or more so it good use deep pots to allow for the thread like roots growth.
    Personally I grow my under 50% shadecloth, outdoor in a tray. It will reach 40 C + in day and quite often be 30 C at night each summer.
    The main reason to avoid dormany is avoid the frightful death rate that occur during dormany (up to 90% loss in the wild.) on the other hand the ones that do go though dormancy and surive are the best suited to your climate....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jalan,
    Did the fruits on the scape go side by side instead of the normal single row of fruits (Dry flower pods) and was the flower tiny, white, and star like. If so you got paleacea. It also the first species to start producing gemmae for me every year. It normally start late March here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the cultivation tips.
    The gemmae was planted late Nov 03, it was labelled as "Drosera paleacea ?" from a kind donor. They never did flower, I was therefore surprise to see gemmae production without flowering.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they don't NEED to flower after gemmae production - be a waste of energy after flowering already
    Who was the 'kind donor'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gemmae porduction is a form of cloning. Flowering allow sexual reproduction enable new sets of gene combination. The end result is better adaptiablily to the plants local climate.
    While most species do not produce many seeds, they are viable and will germinate.
    Make you think how harsh an enivorment these little fellas live in to need all these tactics to get though a year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

I brought some to work thinking that the air-con will help...and I end up having more deaths! Now I understand Khoas' "frightful death rate".
    Cindy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123