What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's 30 deg.C (88 deg.F)

Cindy

Staff member
The pygmies from our common friend are going dormant in the heat!
sad.gif

Anyone experiencing the same thing?

i didn'y get some but it should be fine for it to go dormant in warm weather
hong yee's plants go dormant in warm weather!

Yes, but how does one define warm weather. To the temperate plant, SG's whether is like a stove!
smile.gif

Some of my pygmies went dormant too. I am keeping them on the dry side with infrequent waterings. Lets hope everything will do okay.

Have moved all surviving pymies to my office, where the ambient temperature never exceeds 28C and they are doing ok

I guess Singapore climate is not suitable for heat sensitive CPs, unless cultivation in cool house.

Hi JK, what sort of light are you giving your pygmies at your office? I intend to do the same with my pygmies, but my desk is not next to a window. Thanks!

They are all beside the window. Currently, receiving direct sunlight from sunrise till 10 Am, after that bright indirect sunlight.

I didn't know anyone one grew pygmies (or was brave enough) in singapore...are they hard to grow compared to other cps or species of Dosera?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wezx @ April 11 2004,12:48)]i didn'y get some but it should be fine for it to go dormant in warm weather
hong yee's plants go dormant in warm weather!
That's cuz he crammed ice on the poor little red VFT
tounge.gif
wink.gif

Cindy, I don't get how your plants can go dormant in a place that is set in summer...isn't dormancy supossed to be associated with "cold"?
wink.gif

Jason

You don't ye all put them in the fridge (NOT freezer)
wink.gif

On the other hand, that might be too harsh for it, temperature wise? (and lack of light wise)

Jason

The best way to deal with the dormancy issues are to provide some screening from  full sunlight, allow the top of the substrate to dry to just barely damp, then water by placing the pot in a water tray for 5 mins or so, before removing it to drain. The deep roots will reach the moisture in the center of the pot, while the rosettes remain dry.  Don't water from above, or allow them to be rained on. Reduce the humidity, and increase air circulation. If they are under lights, these should now be set to long day conditions.   Expect your plants to look a little tattered and ratty over the summer months, and some losses are inevitable.  As long as there is life in them there is also hope they will return next season when the temps. drop.

88F is not too hot for these Australian natives by any means.  These should not be regarded as temperate species, and they would not appreciate a cold dark dormancy.

It is now gemmae season in Australia, so if you have friends there now would be the time to make polite inquiry as to the availability of gemmae.

Good luck with your efforts!

Thank you Tamlin for the advice
smile.gif

J/K, are the pygmies covered? And standing in water? I'll be moving mine to a window where my n.maxima X venticosa is pitchering like MAD.
smile.gif

Thanks!
smile.gif

This is my biggest Drosera paleacea(?) that looks pregnant with gemmae,

gamae.jpg

Did you know herre in Australia we keep pygmy sundew growing thoughout spring and summer. While keep them lighly shade ( they do colour best under sun but not in a greenhouse.) the main trick is to keep the water level on the pots contant and steady around 2cm thoughout spring and summer.
Another thing Pygmy sundews have roots that reach 20cm or more so it good use deep pots to allow for the thread like roots growth.
Personally I grow my under 50% shadecloth, outdoor in a tray. It will reach 40 C + in day and quite often be 30 C at night each summer.
The main reason to avoid dormany is avoid the frightful death rate that occur during dormany (up to 90% loss in the wild.) on the other hand the ones that do go though dormancy and surive are the best suited to your climate....

Jalan,
Did the fruits on the scape go side by side instead of the normal single row of fruits (Dry flower pods) and was the flower tiny, white, and star like. If so you got paleacea. It also the first species to start producing gemmae for me every year. It normally start late March here.

Thanks for the cultivation tips.
The gemmae was planted late Nov 03, it was labelled as "Drosera paleacea ?" from a kind donor. They never did flower, I was therefore surprise to see gemmae production without flowering.

Maybe they don't NEED to flower after gemmae production - be a waste of energy after flowering already
wink.gif

Who was the 'kind donor'?
smile.gif
wink.gif

Back