What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes in singapore

Did anyone read today's Lifestyle? It carried an article about the various nature trails in Singapore, and the types of flora and fauna one can find alson them.

I was particularly interested in the Lower Pierce trail, which the author said was a place where one could see pitcher plants growing in the wild.

Anyone interested in taking a walk there next week, and does anyone know of any other nature trails/reserves where nepenthes are readily observable in their natural setting?

SG Botanical gardens. I went there few months ago but it was at night so I couldn't see any cps (My bro dragged me there...)
biggrin.gif

BTW, the cps are in the cool house, right? I saw a nep, took some pics...

Yes, the neps are in the SBG Cool house. I meant Neps in the wild in Singapore.

I remember my Bio teacher recalling she had seen some, no not some, tons of pitchers plants covering the ground around...I can't seem to recall it now, but I think it was at the Butkit Timah area (not the nature reserve). I'll ask her again. They were the kind you get at redhill market, I think (those were potted in groundsoil when I got them - looks suspiciouly like field collecting!?!
confused.gif

BTW, anyone recently been to redhill? Anything new...uhm I wanted to ask this for a long time now; are there cps in Carrefour? I think someone mention something to that effect but I can't remember if it was carrefour or not...
confused.gif

Jason
smile.gif

Seen them at lower pierce. But you've got to look really hard 'cos they are vines and are all over the place. I've seen 7-inch rafflesiana pitchers along the path before but they are no longer there.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Ampullaria pitchers are often buried under the leaf litter.

Well, I took a walk down the Lower Pierce Trail last week, just to see what the fuss was about. Sure enough, I managed to see some pitcher plants in the wild.

You can take a look at my photos here.

Back