What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singapore botanic gardens bookshop

Hi Singapore growers,

Long time no hear.  Went to the SBG book shop (Nature's Niche) yesterday and found that they are selling TC Neps.  They had four species viz. Nep. macfarlanei, Nep. pilosa, Nep. truncata, and Nep. ampullaria.  Each tube at S$14.70 and they are produced by our very own Singapore Botanic Gardens!

Look carefully though, some of the plants in the tube do not have roots yet.

hmm...N. macfarlanei, N. pilosa...must research on them to find out if they are suitable for my new balcony...
smile_n_32.gif

According to Malesiana Tropicals, both are highlanders. But we'll see how they do in a hot and humid region. My Nep. alata from about 1,000 m is doing quite well.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Each tube at S$14.70
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Stop right there! Too expensive! Oh well, I suppose if its produced locally...

I just came back from melbourne 2day, visited triffid park.
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Very exciting, any of you visited them b4? SEVEN greenhouses stuffed full with cps! I spent something like 2 hours there...anyone want to see pics? Maybe tomorrow...
smile_l_32.gif

Hi Jason
Id like to see some Piccys.

Bye for now Julian

I have a Nepenthes pilosa growing in the Philippine lowlands and yes it is surviving and growing, but not much more so far. It's not really happy. I'd keep my fingers off, unless you have some over night cooling. Maybe it will improve though, I will also try other light levels etc.
I think macfarlanei is also not too easy, but I don't have personal experience, except meeting it somewhere in the Cameron Highlands.
Highland Alatas (some grow even at 2000m) are indeed no problem and grow at the same speed than the lowland alatas, although the pitchers don't last as long.
Volker

Thanks for the feedback, leucophylla. I will try my luck and see whether I can get them to grow in the tropical sun.

Sure, give it a try, i know the temptation. Pillosa is rated as an intermediate, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered it from MT. I am trying more light right now. If your humidity is always high macfarlanei might be also fine.
Keep me updated if yours are pitchering.

The bookshop was closed when I visited 2day.
smile_h_32.gif
Anyway, I got to see the little batch of cps at 'the far corner of the coolhouse'. Quite nice to see them grown close to in a natural environment. Want to buy some of those darlingtonias, and heliamphoras! Whooooo...mama! *Drool*
smile_k_ani_32.gif
errr, right, yes, a few baby pings starting to come out, as well as capensis looking like they just come out from dormancy, some huge neps (pitchers up to 6" long), but no VFTs. Maybe they died?

Back