Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian troubles...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seem to be having a lot of trouble finding carnivorous plant sellers that sell to Canada. Either they don't ship to Canada at all, or they won't ship to Canada any item under $100 US. I don't get it? I want ONE plant, a venus fly trap. I have seeds, but I wanted an adult plant too. Now I'm not sure if that'll ever happen. I can only hope I guess.
    ~{@ Urban Dryad @}~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flytraps are an endangered species and are protected by international laws forbidding their sales across international borders. Also, shipping at this time of season would guarantee a dead plant upon arrival.

You have an alternative; “Dentate” VFTs are the most common CPs found in stores (here in Ontario) along with varieties of pitcher plants. Try places like:

Home Depot
    Sheridan Nursery
    Wal-Mart
    Rona Lansing

The CPs all tend to come from Colasanti Farms (South Western Ontario) who grows them and then make the rounds to all the nurseries/stores to see who wants to stock them. Sometimes, nurseries will order flowers and stuff from the U.S. and some CPs make their way cross border…

My suggestion is to check in the spring when conditions are warmer!

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    DOH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remind me again in spring, I know a bunch of canadian nurseries that will sell and ship CPs to anywhere in Canada.
    But you certainly didn't pick a good time for that.

On the other hand, I know my local Home Depot and Reno Depot have flytraps year round, perhaps yours will also?
    If the dragon is bigger than his treasure, it's not worth the effort.

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this one place that sells carnivorous plants. I have allready made arrangements there, when it gets warmer outside (maybee in a couple months if were lucky) They will ship the plants that I wanted.
    Just go to... http://www.canadiancarnivorousplantsandexotics.ca/
    ...and email them. It looks like they have only one type of vft if your interrested.

turner
    Just remember that you are special... Just like everybody else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    turner, you might want the check the site again or reconfirm your order...
    DOH!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try my site here.
    Links page> http://members.fortunecity.com/zongy...sRetailers.htm
    Gives you a few retailers from Canada. Hope that helped. Zongyi (You might have to ask them for a list of Cps they sell)
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where roughly in Canada are you?? Our local Home Depot didn't have any CPs for a few months, but now they seem to be getting a couple of flats of VFTs every week- I live in the Niagara area btw
    But as others have said, spring will open up your options quite a bit

And the 100 dollar order has something to do with phytosanitary certificates as well, can't send live plant material across without one...
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're having trouble finding some carnivorous plants in Canada then you may want to look at http://www.************* as I think you may be pleasantly surprised. That will take you to Cook's Carnivorous Plants in the US. I live in Manitoba, Canada and I have been buying from him for about a year and a half now. He ships me any assortment of carnivorous plants that I want across the border as long as they do not require special certificates (which 90% don't). His prices are good, there is no minimum order and he carries a very wide variety of plants. I am surprised that no one here mentioned them.

Cheers,
    Ravn
    I consider every plant hardy until I kill it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast