What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For singapore only

Thanks to Hamish aka "SydneyNeps",

I have 9 portions of seeds to offer to Singapore CPers who Post here (please PM me if you think I do not have your current address)

JK

Oh sweet!
JK could you send it to the address you last sent to, thanks!

Jason

I want some! Can you send two portions to Jason's address because I live with him? 1 for me 1 for him.

thanks

C'mon there must be more ppl than this! I thought it would be a gold rush five minutes after you posted this.
smile_m_32.gif

A portion please, J/K.
smile.gif

3 portions take. Offer will end on the 10 March, will post seeds out the next day.

JK

Seeds in post to Cindy and wezx + Jason

Received with many thanks!
smile.gif

Received, thanks JK! It must have been one healthy nep which produced those seeds...thanks to Sydneyneps too.

So has anyone had luck with germination? The US growers I sent some of that seed to haven't had any luck so far, but the Europeans (Sweden & UK) have.

The female ventricosa I obtained the seed from has several growing points, two of which flowered, one of them twice! So three seed heads in total, 2 of which were pure ventricosa. That's a lot of seed. As there are more mature growth points, I'm expecting even more seed next year. In addition, I have about 9 other species which have now matured and should flower this spring.

Hamish

Not so far, but I have received much training from the wiser ones in this forum in the aspect of patience, so I am not going to fling them just yet.

Patience is definitely needed with Nepenthes. I just heard from a friend that a guy we know has had some N. talangensis seed he sowed 2 years ago germinate!

Hamish

It's now more than a month since my last post - has anyone in Singapore had any germination of that ventricosa seed?

Yup I have had a few germinate but they are still TINY. Hey Sydneyneps what conditions do you grow the parent neps in? Isn't ventricosa supposed to be a highlander? If so I may consider moving it into my highland terrarium.

Jason

Jason,

Glad to hear you've had some germination. They'll stay small for about a year, then start to pick up speed and get bigger quite quickly.

The parent plants grow outside in a northerly aspect (so being the southern hemisphere, is the sunnier half). Winters here in Sydney have nights down to about 5-9C, and days between 14-19C. Summers nights vary from 17-25C, and days from about 23-40C. My outdoor ventricosa grow best in autumn and spring when nights are cool and days are warm but not too hot. Humidity is also a bit higher during those seasons. Winter has low humidity, and days are short, so pitchers are few and often small. Summer is warm and often humid, but some ventricosa varieties refuse to pitcher for me in the middle of summer.

The ventricosa I grow in my greenhouse pitcher all year round.

Ventricosa is a true intermediate, but will grow well in both highland and lowland conditions. I've never grown it in true lowland conditions (a la bicalcarata), but I've heard of others who do with success. Basically, provided you don't freeze it or burn it, it will cope with everything else.

Hamish

All right, thanks, I will try to grow them as a lowland species and see how they likt it. May think of making an intermediate terrarium soon.
smile_l_32.gif

BTW, where is your greenhouse located? Maybe I can visit next time I go to australia. Also do you know if captive exotics ships overseas at this point in time?

Thanks,
Jason

Hello Jason, any news regarding our nep order from Malesiana? Sorry I have to ask you over the forums like this cos the PMs don't seem to be working well and I don't have your email address. Pls let me know so I can decide whether to order plants from overseas? Thanks.

Jason,

I live in a small inner-city terrace house, and my greenhouse occupies about 80% of my rear courtyard. It's a very basic structure and is very small, but it does the trick. You're welcome to visit if you happen to be in Sydney.

Captive Exotics is now exporting, but only for large orders. Exporting plants from Australia, particularly native species such as rowanae and mirabilis, is time consuming and expensive due to phytosanitary certificates, CITES, export permits and Native Plant Propagation permits. Accordingly, only large orders will be done for export (I *think* it was around the AUD500 mark). Also, Rod Kruger who runs Captive Exotics is very busy with his day job, and it sometimes takes a while for him to get back to queries, so you need to be patient.

Hamish

Sydneyneps which species are that? And will you have those seeds for sale/trade? Let me know..Ill maybe be interested
biggrin.gif

It just depends on what species flower, and at what times. The only species I can guarantee I will have seed of is ventricosa, because I have so many mature plants of both sexes that flower at the same time every year. I have plenty of other species and hybrids that flower, but in the case of species, males and females don't always flower at the same time or every year. So I will at least have hybrid seed, but maybe not much species seed.

Hamish

Back