Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Singaporeans only

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lam_wn: Yes, all those plants recieve full day of sun, from the first touch of light to the last bit in the evening. Remember most of them are temperate plants, and daylight hourse are of at least more than 14 hours during summer, thus, spurring their growing season. In my own theory, i feel that the more direct sun it's exposed to the more healthy and colourful the plant would be.

I wouldn't say all sundew loves full sun, but intermedia should love it. As for spathatula, i haven't had growing experience with it, thus shall not dare to comment as yet, but u cantry exposing to partial sun first before deciding if the plant gets healthier.

Well, so far my purpurea mane to bloom. Nope, i didn't put thrpugh dormancy for them. They just did... in fact every 6 to 8 months they shoot up flowers. I wouldn't say it's not necessary to to give them dormancy, but for my case, i didn't bother... haha... but they seem ok with it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful discussion. Clayton, are your friends on this forum too? We ought to rope them in! I've been trying to get more people into the hobby but my social circle is made up of young children and more children. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] They don't have the skills to keep the plants alive even if daddy and mummy pull out the cash. lol

So I ended up giving away plants to encourage young green fingers. I've got a couple of students who managed to grow them very well 'cos they live in a house. I live in a HDB flat so I have to keep my plants compact.

Ehh, sorry...the teacher in me...you know of the conservation laws for the nature reserves? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Yup, I noticed that with direct sunlight, VFTs and sarracenias do grow pretty well in Singapore. Take a look at Steven's VFT Website. My husband was tempted to buy a pot of VFT from FEF last week becos' our plants are doing well at our balcony. but he decided against it. Maybe the next time anyone is ordering from Triffid again, let me hitchhike a order. My favourite CP is actually saracenia!

Pings were fine for me at my parents' place, east window with only 2 hours of morning sun. I think it's too warm for them here where the binata's are growing well. I'm trying to grow them at my service balcony instead. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] If I have it my way I'll have plants in every room as sun shade instead of blinds! LOL

Let us know how your D.binata and D.adelae cuttings work. I've tried it with D.binata and they turned black.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Cindy,

In fact i visited your website and was impressed by your room full of Neps and other CPs... very cosy feel... and i like it... haha...

Actually if u feel for the plant in FEF, you should buy the plant... years back before FEF caught fire, when they had dying adelaes... i bought them for the sake of saving them from dying... haha... that was how crazy i was then... but too bad, they have not many varieties of droseras now...

and i feel their price of VFTs are overpriced! daylight robbery! I've visited Steven's website too... nice plants! love the VFTs he has... anyway i shall attach one of my best VFTs now growing currently...

here it is...

this was taken 3 weeks back... now it has another 3 more traps and the olders one became redder

will post others up soon again
    Hope it inspires u [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it does... (inspire me) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    I dont know why my VFT wont colour up, bought it from FEF, where it had red traps green leaves, now it is green all over with pink, (I mean really light pink) insides.
    It grows under direct sun too, just only from 9am-4pm, reason being the buildings nearby block out quite some light. But I am guessing its also because I dont use rain water all the time, sometimes I use aged tap water (meant for my fishies!)
    wonderful pics,
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey Lam_wn...

Well, maybe your VFTs are genetically incline not to produce much of red colouration... the colouration also depends on the genetic disposition... not just the sunlight. VFT f heterophylla will always be green under full sun, they do not have the genetic traits to produce red pigmentation on their leaves. Royal reds will just fire up with maroon leaves and traps with just little light. But i guess with 9am to 4pm of direct sun is enough for your VFTs to grow well...

Usually i realise VFTs grow in a certain direction, until it reaches to the corner of the pot, that's when i repot them or when they deteriorate.

Hmm... i think singapore water is just fine for CPs, but u have to beware of mineral build up... Usually when it rains heavily, the rain is enough to wash away certain amount of excess minerals on the soil. Just like today? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Clayton, it's nice to know that there're more Singaporeans growing CPs. Anyway, I just received my new order of 6 Neps from Malesiana yesterday (Thanks Jason!), which brings my collection of Nep species to double figures now. Anyway, I was just wondering, Clayton, do you put your VFTs through dormancy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey ebeyonder,

I visited your website some time ago in may and emailed you... about certain plant availibility...

Anyway i'm impressed by your filiformis! it's outstandingly beautiful! what's your secret to it?

My VFTs don't go through dormancy, i just place them out in the tropical weather... it hasn't flowered at all, and since it never show any sense of unhappiness i just leave it alone... and also, i don't require them to produce any seeds... so it's just fine for them and me as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Clayton, welcome to the forums! Who knows how many more decade-old growers are still out there... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img]

I just finished with 13 plants from Malesiana (plus more from Cindy) so I've had about enough of soil and all that for today.

I've just noticed an interesting similarity...I'm experiencing much of what Clayton did a decade ago...(exams, 'el nino', triffid park, collection explosion, more EXAMS...). What little change, huh? Youths never fail to be fascinated by cps...Interesting to see how 'El nino' keeps popping up as well, really need to get an irrigation system...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast