User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What media do you use and where do you get them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, you are in Singapore so my help is little help at all.....still, pool filters use sand and here it is silica. It might be worth checking out this product in your pool supply companies.
    Good growing to you!

Don't give up on the D. regia unless the roots have rotted, it comes and goes.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh... how would u know if d.regia roots have already rot? haha... it's tough growing regias!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, do you think it's feasible to grow your own LFS? I have 3 wide pots of live LFS growing now and I'm thinking of consolidating them into one fish tank and letting the thing grow. Then I can just take the dead bottom layer or somethg? Wld that work?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Yihan:
    Did you manage to get the LFS to grow from the type you get at FEF? Or did they come from elsewhere? I was under the impression that those from FEF were processed and any spores contained within would have been destroyed. Haha, I am almost tempted to ask you for some of your LFS so that I can grow some for myself [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (eBeyonder @ Sep. 09 2005,1:17)]Hey guys, do you think it's feasible to grow your own LFS? I have 3 wide pots of live LFS growing now and I'm thinking of consolidating them into one fish tank and letting the thing grow. Then I can just take the dead bottom layer or somethg? Wld that work?
    hey, thats a cool idea, but I really cant give you an answer since I have tried growing many times but have never actually seen live sphagnum besides in books and pics! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_l_32.gif[/img] I would like to know how you got your live sphagnum too! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

I think this thread is a bit towards the drosera side, hope you dont mind me asking if anyone knows where we can get fine orchid bark (or fir bark), osmunda or tree fern fibre, (or other coarse aerating media - besides perlite) from. I am seriously looking for fine orchid bark for my neps now. I think it should not be that rare right? since there are quite some orchid growers here...

thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live sphagnum grows for me under florescent lamps. Very fussy. Too wet - won't grow, too warm - dies, too bright - dries up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] The amount I get is not enough as a media.

I used to be able to grow it quite well on the windowsill facing east. Just morning sun from 7 to 10am. Now, I am trying to grow them again. I'll see if I can get a photo of how I grow it previously.

Surprising, live sphagnum does regenerate from the LFS from FEF. But I've only seen a bit of it growing very close to the centre of my D.dilatato petiolaris. Perhaps it is very moist there and the light is just right. And overhead spraying of water is the best way to get it going. Use the tray method and you'll end up having loads of algae...

Now that the months are getting cooler, hopefully we can get some growing.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've grown live lfs in sg weather before under sg full sun... it's apparantly grown with my nepenthes and it's growing so wild that is overflows the pot... in fact it was a good "producer" and i used it for my other CPs...

Miss those life LFS though..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, the live LFS for me came from Hong Yee. From just three small pots they've reproduced to sufficient amounts for me to use them as dressing for most of my CPs.

I also think that the FEF LFS actually grows. I used them to grow seedlings, etc in. After 9 mths abroad, I came back to find that some of them did indeed grow. However, I think the process, for some reason, is a long one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast