Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aphyosemion splendopleure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, if anubias just grew as fast as duckweed.

Bobbby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, that would be great if it did. The Anubias is growing faster than it did in the 46 gallon(I think it is because of warmth). I've been considering dividing it once it spans the whole driftwood. Can't see it in any of those photos but a few leaves stick above the waters surface. If I had a few Rivulus in here maybe they would like to bask on those leaves.

And this is for you/Dustin.

My rack and all of its glory. That 10 gallon fixture you see there is not normally there...was trying to take photos of the Elassoma. Normally this is on the 10 gallon below it(Aphyosemion splendopleure tank).

(Yes, that is a salad box on the coffee table). Not a permanent spot but I move stuff their to look closer at em. You can see one of the BBS hatchers here...off as I'm in the process of harvesting those little buggers.

Lower part of the rack. This is mainly for my blackworms and a few newts down here. Prolly a little too chilly for most fish except maybe the Austrolebias. You can also see a vinegar eel culture(which I have not used at all so far) and a few gallons of peat tea which I saved...again not sure if this will become useful.

The dining table occasionally gets used too(again, nice place to move stuff if you want to look at it). The white dishpan, btw, is the new home of some of my Aust. nigripinnis. The salad box in the back was where they were originally. With this new space to stretch I'm sure they will continue growing fast. I think some are sexing out and if my method of sexing(length/width of dorsal and anal fin differences) is correct I have both sexes. While I am pretty sure my parents are strict I am grateful that they tolerate all this pretty well. If computer orvideogames was my prime indoor interest they'd be spared this I'm sure.

Posting this here as I thought it might generate some interesting discussion.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't take good tank photos but here is one. Yes, the glass could use some cleaning

Well, I found a little trick to get these guys to show their stuff more. A mirror in the tank.

You can see by his reflection that he is showing off for the mirror. It is amusing watching them get frustrated...they would clamp their fins and "shimmy" and turn and see that their rival thought nothing of it

Since I did a bit of trimming the dominate male has been out a bit more. He surprised me by coming to take a look at his reflection in the mirror. These photos do him no justice. This pose is him in between bouts of doing that "shimmying" display that is hard to describe...but anyone who's kept these probably knows what I mean.

1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Is the surface at all clear in this tank and is it clear in the nigripinnis tank? Is there any filtration/water movement? That thick layer of duckweed bothers me as the fish look a bit stressed.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The surface has a layer of duckweed on it as in the photos but the water itself is clear. No filtration/water movement as of now.

In life, the fish look alert, active, and are busy feeding/chasing each other around. To my eye they don't look like they are showing any sign of stress. What do you see in the photos?

I found the group on Yahoo you mentioned previously and will probably join to take a peek. Did your talk on killifish history get help/start in there?

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

The gills look a bit enlarged or distended. The water looks good and maybe the plants produce enough O2 but I worry about the level of CO2 at night. I'd get alot of the duckweed out, leaving some but also keeping 1/2 of the surface clear. I think its a risky set-up. I have seen tanks crash because of duckweed. Even an airhose gently bubbling would make a big difference in protecting things.

We did discuss some of the killie history there but not alot. You will be amazed at all the things that have been discussed. One member made a cd of all his articles starting in the 50's -- 100's and charged $4 for a copy. Just lots and lots of great stuff. All the old time AKA'ers are there. This week has been a discussion of foods and unfiltered tanks. Check the archives! You will love it I promise.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bobby,

I think the gills in that photo are like that due to the mirror which he was challenging.

I will get to removing most of it today. On the duckweed causing a tank to crash, is that because the duckweed died? Also will see to directing an airline into the tank. www.dallaskillifish.com has a cool topic on a DIY film canister filter which might be worth trying.

Currently membership is pending for the group.

Thanks for the info!
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

No, it just blocks so much of the surface transference of O2 and CO2 that the tank's life support crashes. It can be ok but I would hate for you to loose all your hard work. I almost lost N. symoensi once to a duckweed blanket.

I'll check out the dallas site.

Bobby

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast