Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aphyosemion splendopleure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've cleared off most of the duckweed and so far the fish do not seem to mind.

Checked on the male and his gills are indeed slightly distended, as in his first photo. None of the little ones are showing this. What kind of stress causes this?

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Not sure but I'm betting "panting".

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could be, but he is not breathing hard. On closer inspection it appears that only one side is down like that, the other side is normal.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I notice it starts in the fry around the second week if I do not begin bubbling air in by then. They start hanging near the surface way too much.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bubbler up and running. The fish seem a little nervous about it but hopefully will get used to it. I may use one with less power if it seems to be too much. Currently it is not encased in or driving anything(i.e...not corner of sponge around it).

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

It can be going very slowly just enough to gently break the surface. You should be able to count the bubbles even. Add one on the nigripinnis since people think it might be an O2 problem. I believe people keep killies too cramped and without enough air. I learned that fry need a few bubbles starting the second week or so.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bobby

Despite increased aeration the males gill cover remains in the same position. He seems fine otherwise so I wonder what is up.

On the nigripinnis, that is a possibility. I'm wondering if too large of waterchanges could do it, as I noticed in one container the fish would "pace" around the glass for some time after the routine water change.

Do you remember how these guys sex out? I see what appear to be females(shorte fin bases and spotted, plus chunkier), and males(long fin basses and lightly banded, usually slender).

Also, these nigripinnis can take the cold we get here over the winter. I popped the guy with the "goiter" into the big greenwater jar out on the patio. Today I was fishing around to see if I could catch any gammarus and it turns out he was still in there...plus a bit bigger! The temperature of the air that day was 50 degrees and it is likely he got temps of around 40 for some time. I just tossed him in there. These guys are pretty sturdy in some ways apparently [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I popped 2 kafuensis peats which I figured were close enough in date into the water today. This time doing it the more traditional way with shallow water(50% distilled) and a thin layer of peat. A few free swimming fry and hopping ones right now.

Hoping you had a good holiday season and best wishes for 2006!
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Looks like a nice setup!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Glad you finally got some pics posted! Sorry I have been AFK, lots going on..

Hope all is well,

Dustin
    <a href=\"http://www.goodeids.com/\">
    http://www.goodeids.com/banners/gotgoodeids_banner.gif</a>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast