Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aphyosemion splendopleure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Aphyosemion splendopleure 'Muyuka Police Station' C89-15 have been growing well. Kind of funny that I can just sit back, add food and change water, and have little fish appear in the tank.

Before the photos the girst task was to remove some of the duckweed from the tank surface which had grown thick enough that the tank was too dark for the camera. I removed a good portion of it in the front and was surprised by the number of fish that appeared. The largest male is maybe 1.5 and the largest female a little over 1 inch. It looks to be a male heavy sex ratio unfortunately. Even with the duckweed removed it was impossible to focus on fish in the lower half of the tank...the tank has a bit of a dark jungle look to it to say the least.

An average sized(about 1 inch) male.

The largest female. Wonder when she'll be ready to spawn?

Just to show how the colors have come in and to show that they aren't very comfortable around the camera.

One of the smaller males just getting his colors and finnage.

One of the larger males. This Anubias leaf with the current water depth is just below the surface and fish regularly squirm onto it to pick any tidbits that are on the leaf.

A juvenile(hoping it is a female! and a male and a female in a sparring fight.

I have no idea how many fish are in here but not including the parents maybe 10? I have not poked around in the tank lately but it has turned into a solid wall of Najas, java moss, and a few other plants.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Very very nice. You will soon have too many fish like me! You have the touch.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bobby. I sure hope I get overrun with these. Planning on maybe setting up the young uns to spawn in spring.

Also, got my test kits in(ph, GH, and KH). Water straight from the tap is
    ph 7.0
    GH 8
    KH 8

GH and KH are approximate due to the weird nature of the test kits.

Water from my Elassoma evergladei tank and a bucket of water sitting for a few days measures ph of 7.6. Wonder how much GH and KH will change?
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just poking my head in to say that I knew I could find a pretty picture if the topic has Aphyosemion in it! That's my favorite genus of killies. Do they still use the term 'panchax' anymore?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jimscott:

Here's a photo of the proud father from a few months ago.

1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Sooo nice. Glad the nigripinnis are doing well. They should be sexing out soon. Probably your cool water delayed them. Whitei fry and even other annual fry can water incubate (Dan Katz has a whole program about that in the AKA dvd sales.) and hatch normal fry. Whitei and constancae are two of the ones that do it the most. There is so much we do not know about these fish. You should join the AquariumHobbyHistoricalSociety on the yahoo groups. Many of the greatest names in the hobby are there as regular posters. Their archives are fantastic -- take a long look. Well worth it and you'd really appriecate it.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip Bobby. I'll see if I can find this group.

These spendopleure are still doing well and I think the females are likely ready to breed now(but they are still far smaller than the adult female is). It seems that some fry are still managing to survive even with all these juvies running around.

The nigripinnis look like little juveniles now but no sign of sexing out quite yet. I think the bag is about ready for a rewet(not like I need more fish but perhaps some others would like any extra pairs/males I end up with).

How are you doing yourself Bobby? How long till the big move to NY?

Interesting on the water incubation thing. Is it possible then to spawn whitei/constanciae/whatever in mops and water incubate them? Guess this is to make use of the pools if they stay wet for a long period of time.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took some photos of this tanks inhabitants again.

Young male, biggest one. Finnage coming along nicely

And a female to accompany him.

Little one(most likely female) looking for some tidbits(Hikari First Bites)

Younger male.

And the Big Daddy. Right now being his usual uncooperative self. Such a ham :wink:

About as much as he let me do. The only reason he was out was to get his share of food.

Anyone in for a duckweed pie? This ten gallon produces crazy amounts of this stuff.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast