What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions

• Thread starter altrade212
  • Start date
That site he mentioned has loads of info/links/mailing list archives but it is a bit tricky to get to the real info.

You might want to try general aquarium sites...searching www.google.com should bring up some.

How would a cuban chiclid and a weeksii bichir go together? Along with 2 or 3 crey fish, I hope they won't eat them

try some oscars. they are vicoius. at my grade school we had one in our science lab and the pregant(yes pregnant) gerbil got out of its cage and found its way into the tank....the oscar ate it nothing left but a tail
smile.gif
have fun. gars arnt realy as vicous as you think. heres an idea get a saltwater tank and get some jellyfish
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I personally think an oscar is to big for a 30 gallon, so don't go that route.

I "THINK" the bichr and the cichlid would probably be ok, it really all depends on how pugnacious the cichlid is.

If you want an easy to navigate site that will give you a good round number on what size tank is appropriate for a fish, go to www.liveaquaria.com it is a web merchant, but they do have nice little data sheets on each fish. unfortunately, their predator selection is limited.

If you want cool interesting fish that are vicious, you can't go wrong with african cichlids. but PLEASE do your research before you buy. don't expect this forum to shovel feed you the info, you need to read for yourself too.

they get THAT big my school's was in a 30 gal. tank for almost 6 years

Thanks a lot for the help guys, I apreciate it, I took back the little channel cats:( imma miss them, so are cuban cichlids vicious fish? I would like to see them run after their prey, looks pritty cool...

Hey, how about a tank full of fancy guppies?! Lotsa color and non-challenging propogation. Then you won't need a second tank just for feeders.

and you could feed them to your plants.
smile.gif

I have no idea about cuban cichlids, never tried keeping them.

Glider14, just because your school did it for 6 years doesn't mean it was healthy. The final full grown size of an oscar is simply to large. if the school kept them in that tank for that long and they were not to big, then I would suspect a nutritional issue, or internal deformities from a small environment.

30 gallons are barely buckets of water.

if you are going to keep saltwater, I wouldn't start with less than a 40 (nanos are cool but they take a lot more effort, not suitable for a beginner) and in fresh water, anything smaller than a 40 is suitable for community tanks and not much else.. predators need space, if for no other reason than to dilute their copius wastes.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ Mar. 01 2006,9:58)]and you could feed them to your plants.
smile.gif
Hey..... not feeder guppies! I'm talking the pretty, inbred ones with nice color and flowy fins.
smile_n_32.gif

when my nep pitchers finally(
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
WHY WONT IT!!!!) i would love to feed a fish(not a guppy...to cute
smile_m_32.gif
) to it

All Guppies are feeders!
smile.gif
heh hehh....

K guys, sorry for so many questions, check this out

3 irridecant sharks
2 weeksii bichirs
2 chiclids (cuban)
2 alge cleaners
3 crey fish & 2 hermit crabs <(will they fight?)

And a few plants to live it up a bit..

U think that's too much? Do you think the cuban chiclids will harrass the other guys?

Watch the crayfish. They will kill and eat your fish if they get the chance.

Look up the fish on your list. ID sharks are far to big for a 30 gallon...or even most home aquariums. I've never heard of a FW hermit crab before. I do not know much about the other fish but it still looks a bit much considering you are after big fish. I'm pretty sure the crayfish and the bichir would get each other sooner or later(either crayfish attacks bichir or bichir eats crayfish).

Also, lots of cichlids like digging up plants. I think bichirs are considered pretty planted tank safe. Again, research the fish you are thinking about.

Might want to go the smaller fish and more of them route unless you are dead set on a large fish.

If you want to watch mean fish on the prowl get a couple of breeding pair of Zebra cichlids. Then drop in baby guppies.

Carnage for all.

the bichr will love the crayfish, and eat him soon as he get get his mouth around him. he is planted tank safe though. two would probably be ok for a 55 gallon. I would not do the ID sharks, and the only crabs I have ever heard of for fresh water tanks are fiddlers, and they need a place to climb out and breathe.

Back