Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About five years ago someone graciously sent me a lump of Java moss. Maybe a small handfull, if that.
    For a while I let it grow unchecked in my betta rearing tank. Then in several tanks. Then I started pawning it off on anyone that would take it. I thought, at one time, it was -gone-... no... no it wasn't.

Now, about a year later I have a five gallon betta tank being taken over by the stuff. It's growing on the driftwood, it's growing on -other plants-... I think it may also be growing on the betta.

I point at it, I shout for it to stop growing. I make disparaging remarks about it's mother, and it's relationships with livestock. It keeps growing. I've considered pulling out a clump and roughing it up a little as a lesson to the others.

Maybe I can find a way to trade it off for CP's some day.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not?! Another forum member offered Aloe Vera. Maybe try a little Tom Sawyer / Huck Finn or Starsky & Hutch psychology on the moss. It may not help, but it vouldn't hoyt! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guppies, Java moss, hornwort, anacharis, A. Crispus, C. Wendii, Pickeral rush, Egyptian Papyrus, Horsetail, "swamp grass", cattails, air layered bonsai starts (willow), handmade ceramics, paintings... I have a lot of stuff to trade... just not CPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you believe when I kept planted tanks I could never keep java moss alive? I think it had to do with our PH being way to high in San Antonio... always dissolved on me.

killing it is easy enough if you never want it to come back. relocate your fish temporarily to a hospital tank, and dose the tank with algae destroyer.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to let you know is that lots of people are on the market for this stuff. I can understand why...it is great! Anyway, a baseball sized clump usually fetches around $4-$6...If not, better to send it to someone rather than let it go to waste.

This is also of interest to some people keeping terrariums as it can grow in wet areas like the waterfall section. In commercial sources this moss can be quite pricey.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if anyone is ever looking send them my way... I have more than enough. It was given to me, and so generally I trade it off to others, or for credit at the fish stores... but I really have no need for more credit there anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to laugh when I saw this thread [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I just cleaned a tankful (literally) out of my freaswater tank a couple days ago. It got to the point that you couldn't see anything in there. I have another extra tank that just sits there with no filtration or nuthin that I throw all the java moss in. It's almost as thick as spagnum and you can barely stick your hand in there.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my moss does the same, i usally just get store credit myself cause these fish like frozen blood worms or tubifex, and when i do not need food for the fish i got other pets i could use the credit on. but would rather get some into aquarists hands. just i do not know anyone anymore that has fish around here.
    How Can A Plant be a Crime?

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast