What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Tank!.

I have a 29 Gallon tank, with 3 Gold fish (my gf's doing)
2 guppies
3 Neon Tetras
3 Glow light tetras
3 Bloodfin tetras
2 Clown plecs

Its a planted tank (go figure), and ive wanted to get an aqatic CP but figured i would need acidit water so...ya thats not gonna happen Oh well. The cool thing about my tank is i Have Slate With Fossils from NY (that i found) On my grandmothers land...ill get some photos if any one is really interested... TIs basicaly Shells so it kinda fits in...

Cheers

wouldnt the nutrience kill it though?

cheers

No. I find this stuff is almost as bad as hair algae in some tanks. It does well where java moss does well. I usually remove it.

Ill rember that and thanks.

I just got 3 Balloon belly mollys, Black Silver and YEllowish colord guy, and Two Long Fin Red minor Tetras.

Only Cause i got rid of the gold fish

Cheers

Goldfish and tropical fish should never be in the same tank together..they have VERY different requirements!!

Goldfish are "cold water" fish..
a goldfish tank does not require a heater, and they do best at "room temp"..
60-70 degrees is ideal.
that is FAR too cold for tropical fish (like tetras)

Tropical fish need much warmer water..75-78 degrees is the average for a tropical tank. Tropical fish NEED water that warm to thrive..
Its far too warm for goldfish..

some people say "well..why not split the difference and compromise??
make the water say..72 degrees..then its on the warm end of the goldfish range and the cool end of the tropical fish range"

yeah..maybe.
but then you are giving sub-par conditions for ALL the fish!
the goldfish are stressed because its too warm, and the tropical fish are stressed because its too cold.
its not ideal for any of them..
they might survive for awhile, but they will be stressed and will die young.

If we are going to keep any pets, its our duty to give them the best living conditions we are capable of..
that means proper water conditions and temps for our fish.

please put the goldfish and tropicals in seperate tanks..
its very cruel to keep them together.
you are harming them..

Scot

Yea goldfish never lived long in my tropical tank. The temp is about 80 and oh yea wait I have 3 piranhas in there too. Maybe that's why?

LOL, it was my gf's doing, they are out now, I kept telling her Get me a guppie or something, no gold fish, she ended up getting me a goldfish. oh and i now have 2 female guppies.

Cheers

All ya need is one male and one female and a 10 gallon tank. Well, some floating Water Sprite for baby protection - and in 6 months, you'll have a bazillion of them. They're the D. capensis of the fish world!

what wattage are the CF? reason i ask is my java moss did not grow well when i had 4 40watt flouro on a 45 gallon tank but then i cut back to 2 bulbs and all the sudden i got a jungle of java moss.

i would say if you got a couple 23 watt or larger CF your prolly fine but if they are less then you may not got enough light

Well I have java moss now, AND i must say it hasnt grown any, So im going to try putting it in the little cave I have... and maybe in the "shadyer" conditions

Cheers

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 14 2006,6:38)]All ya need is one male and one female and a 10 gallon tank. Well, some floating Water Sprite for baby protection - and in 6 months, you'll have a bazillion of them. They're the D. capensis of the fish world!
Been there, done that.

Started with one male and one female in a 10-gallon tank.

Most of a year later ... well, I gave up counting at like 150. Many of 'em were deformed, too, either from inbreeding or because the Ur-Mother had some -massive- litters where they all got far too crammed up in her.

The whole thing ended when an accident wiped them out. Probably best for the species. ;)

Not to be off topic or anything, but can you really use compact fluorescents in fish tanks?

-Ben

I have two on the side for more light...

Some thoughts....

The plecos are generally too big to get the algae off of the fine-leafed plants. Your two best friends will be otocynclus and cherry shrimp. Plan on losing a few at first, but the ones that survive will live forever. They will obliterate algae infestations. Once the algae is gone, just give them small pieces of algae wafer once in a while.

Pretty much everyone's planted tank problems stem from too little light / too much nutrients. You could probably stand to add some more, but I couldn't find your lighting params in the thread anywhere. The best way to handle this is to add as much light as you can, then keep the tank filled with as many fast-growing plants as you can. Hornwort is great for this. Pretty much any stem plants will work, though. Once the tank settles out, you can swap these fast-growers for more attractive plants. This is annoying advice, but trust me, it works. Cycling a new tank is the most stressful fish-keeping time you'll go through. Once it settles, though, just keep up the water changes, and it'll show off for you!

i used to have freshwater fish. i love tetras but my Pantodon bucholzi (spelling?) ate them all. that's my all time favorite freshwater fish.

after having a reef tank, i'll never have freshwater agian. it's way more expensive but oh my god the diversity is amazing. everytime i cleaned the tank i found something new!

Everytime I tried to plant my frieshwater tanks, they were always cloudy and could never get the water clear. Maybe I didn't cycle it right?? I am not the ony one who has that problem too. My father in law has the same problems too.

I am not sure what forum you signed up for and I am sorry they did not help. I spend most of my internet time at AquaticPlantCentral.com. There are several good ones that are frequented by others. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are theplantedtank.com and plantgeek.com. I have also heard of the kribb (or someting like that).

I found this thread extreemly helpfull when I started my first tank. You may want to give it a look-see.

I hope I am not wrong to post other forum sites here. I am just trying to help.
dale

Well I hace some Cory's they kind of help (clean up some)

And Algae sharks are mible enough and see them every now and then climping up high or resting on the high peak of the rock.

I need to get those Shrimp you were talkinga bout...

(I had to much light) And I took out the horn wort... so It looks nicer now!

*yay*

laugh.gif

Back