Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Austrolebias nigripinnis'Villa Soriano'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got maybe a dozen eggs from the gardneri. I wonder if they are eating their eggs since they often search the mop for tidbits and that occasional runaway blackworm...any ways to prevent that?

Have a few on peat and a few in tap water as one guy mentioned on killitalk for australe eggs.

The Elassoma evergladei have been very successful so far. Lots of fry! Would you possibly be interested in any when they grow older?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Oh, they're definitely eating the eggs. Best ways to prevent that is to use a number of both floating and sinking mops; make the mops thick; watch to see when they usually spawn and collect eggs soon after but not immediately so the shells can harden some or breed over peat moss and collect and store it for 4-8 weeks, leaving it rather moist but still fluffable -- wetter than Notho or SAA peat. Also pairs eat less eggs than trios.

It will probably be Fall before I get set up again. Glad to hear the pygmies are going gang busters. I hope the other guys do too as they were very impressive in your photos.

I should be taking out around June 1st. Boy, this has been a full time job in itself. It's very quiet in the house without the hum of fish tanks. I can't wait to see everything available there. I will never have to mail in fish again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure enough, the gardneri are turning out to be the next success. The pair is now putting out lots of eggs(in my view...I've collected 30+ viable ones in less than a week). They'd better, as I've been feeding them like royalty...some live adult brine shrimp, lots of daphnia, mosquito larvae, blackworms, cut up redworms...flakes on the occasion but they've been spoiled now. Since they are part of a SMP not all will be mine to play with but I will also be getting some new stock in soon from someone else. If things go really well I plan to take a few males to one of the LFS here so they can have some "real" killies to show and maybe interest someone else in killies...

As for the eggs, I am currently playing with a method one guy mentioned for australe on killitalk...keeping the eggs in chlorinated(tap)water and changing often. I figure once the eggs have set I will put them into the fry container.

The breeding males(I've got a reverse trio) switched places today. I couldn't resist letting them have at it for a while...

The challenger. 1st shot off the camera boy I was surprised. The camera still fails to catch the deep blue on this big guy.

Home court advantage for this guy? For those who've watched these and other killies he is currently doing that shimmying move which seems to demonstrate the fish's strength.

So far everyone is playing by the rules which makes for lots of nice photos...

Then frustration sets in...despite being rather uneven neither fish is willing to back down. It doesn't help that the female has come along over to see what the commotion is all about. Seeing the photo oppurtunities are drawing to a close I get the net ready to remove the smaller guy so the bigger one can has his turn in the breeding tank...

Ok guys get over it!

I think the order of operations in a male Fp. gardneri mind goes like this.

1. Females 2. eliminating other males 3. food

They've got their priorities straight!
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

That female gardneri looks a bit too fat. I'd lay off the rich food for a bit as Fundulopanchax are so prone to developing dropsy and I hate to see you loose her. The males look great and I am glad the eggs are pouring in. Gardneri are usually egg machines. Bring females to the store too so people can get pairs and become truly hooked.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which picture are you referring too? Also, would BBS and daphnia be considered rich foods? Fed on flakes she slims down quite a bit but it is partly because they don't taste as good as live food. Daphnia receive the least amount of interest likely due to size, and then the brine shrimp. Mosquito larvae look like the favorite with perhaps blackworms a close second. I have yet to see her snub a mozzie so I guess I'd better be careful with how many of those I give her.

On the LFS I was thinking of leaving something to the LFS to mention that they can get females so that interested people could get a pair. But of course we need lots of fish first!

Many of the eggs are eyeing up and looking ready to hatch soon. Perhaps due to either the diet change or the switched males no eggs at this time.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Great news. Daphnia and BS are not so rich but anything in excess causes a problem. Feed well but small portions when in a breeding cycle and then feed the flakes and BS and daphnia when resting them. Fundulopanchax are prone to bloat, dropsey and obescity so just be careful with the mossies and worms. Be sure to cut up the worms in small easily digestible pieces and feed them maybe 4 times a week in a portion just enough to cause a slight fullness to the belly. Also when feeding heavily with rich foods keep the temperature below 78 and change water often. The great foods are helping the success but they can overwork the fish and the fish are not egg producing machines. Find the balance so the female has eggs but is not forced with too much food. Otherwise she will burn out fast or get sick. Balance. Gardneri are great fish. I love them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know. Makes sense as the daphnia are mainly shell. I've been cutting the worms to make it that they go down in one bite.

Do females show any preference for males? The male she is in with right now is one she was kept with the whole winter...and so far I've seen no spawning but a lot of chasing/displaying. With the little male who was kept seperate all this time I was able to catch 2x a day on days they would lay eggs...I think they spawned in the morning, and in the evening after our dinner(I feed them mainly in the morning and the afternoon...with perhaps a late night snack). The male she is in with right now is real nice with big fins and a lot of blue so hopefully he gets to pass some of his genes along too(smaller male is also very nice, with lots of red and yellow but he's a tad younger/smaller so it is tough to compare).
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you could get the same reaction by separating the familiar male for a bit and then placing them together but there is evidence that certain pairs are simply more compatible and prove to be better breeders. Beyond that I do not know.

Bobby

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast