Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Austrolebias nigripinnis'Villa Soriano'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all the eggs have eyed up and a few have hatched. I've heard of methods for force hatching the eggs...is this ever necessary? It seems risky and maybe you'd hatch out premature fry.

The fry are large(a great switch from Elassoma/SAA fry) and can obviously take BBS. I think they are eating the newly hatched mozzies I put in for them too.

I collected 4 eggs from the current pair today. Will leave them together till I get a good number from this male.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gardneri rarely if ever need to be forced hatched. They want to see the world. Good news on the fry. I bet you will soon be drowning in gardneri. They grow quickly too.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were right on them growing quickly...I spotted a few juveniles in the adult tank that are maybe 1/2 the size of the smaller pair of fish Doug sent me(when they came out of the bag of course).

Gardneri are cannibalistic as juvies I'd assume right?

I sure wouldn't mind drowning in gardneri too much.

OT but have you been in contact with Mark regarding those Macropodus ocellatus?
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

I have never found killie fry to be that canabalistic. I am sure the Megalebias and Giant Notho are but the rest never seemed so to me, but then again I feed them well, use lots of live bbs twice a day, give them room from the get go and have plants in the tanks. I think alot of people sarve and crowd their fry using the WELL ACCEPTED AND UNIVERSAL METHODS!!!!!!!!! and so they eat one another.

I need to talk to Martin about the ocellatus but I want to get settled first which make take the whole summer.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bobby,

How much room do you usually give young fry? I also recall somewhere you mentioned you once bred 100's of australe and blue gularis at around this time in life. How did you go about it? I'm guessing that needed a LOT of tanks/tubs. Did you ever try any outdoor experiments? These gardneri fry seem to show alot of promise as far as outdoor life is concerned.

I "found" a new foodsource for a few killies...springtails. Figured out how to use a soupstrainer to seperate them out of the worm bin. The splendopleure go nuts over them...sorta funny to observe the springs running over the surface and then dissapearing. Just for amusement I found a little male nigripinnis who was very plump and satisfied in my blackworm container. She must have been missed when I was moving some fry out of it. Curious I took him out and swapped him for one of my females. She seems to like it in there and is plump and looks happy. She will get a go in the breeding tank soon.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those are some beautiful killis , i have wanted killis but have no local source and besides know little about them , but the breeder i met and saw his op had alot of tubs like shoebox size, so i assume ya do not need lots of water for killi, will the do well in a community tank or is it best to have them in stagnant water ? where does one get the eggs , fry or adults for a reasonble price ?
    How Can A Plant be a Crime?

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Yes, I had around a 100 tanks when I was mass producing gularis. As far as fry, I leave new born fry up to about a 100 in a 3-4 gallon plastic storage box for the first 2-3 weeks -- depending on the species. I keep several snails in there and plants. I am adding water over those 2 weeks to fill it up after hatching so water changes are not needed. I sometimes add an airline going very slowly after a week and definitely after 2 weeks. From there the fry go into 10-30 gallon tanks with slow moving corner filters and lots of plants and the water changes start then. I'd give a 100 fry a 30 gallon after 5-6 weeks. You can use less but I'm giving you the ideal. With less space change water more.

I think outdoor raising would work great. Just keep the predators away. Killies raised outside have intense color and grow much faster. Start the fry off inside and when they are just starting to sex out put them outside. Of course, keep some inside for back-up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bobby,

The fry are outdoors in a large dishpan(est. 2-3 gallons) and appear to be doing great. I found they will eat newly hatched mosquito larvae so that simplifies feeding them alot...just scoop up some rafts into a container, let them hatch, and then give em to the fish.

Would an outdoor "pen" be a possibility? I'm imagining that once they get to a certain size you could use PVC piping or some other connectable plastic objects to make a frame and then tie some kind of netting around it. This I would put in my large pond. Of course it would have a lid of some sort (maybe screening) They'd be safe from predators, easy to feed and catch, and yet take advantage of the enviroment in the pond. If you're having trouble visualizing it think of salmon farm pens but on a smaller scale and of course much less densely stocked.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast