Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Austrolebias nigripinnis'Villa Soriano'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seperated out 2 males to be fed extra and now they are coloring up. I've also got 2 females that I have been pampering. I agree with Bobby they do not seem very large but it could also be due to my relative inexperience in raising them and that I had some trouble getting them fed in that stage when BBS were not filling them up. Bad photos here. As you likely know they should be a purplish black base color.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And one of the Fp. gardneri nigeranius 'Misaje' as of today. (2 males, 1 female)

1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spawning container (2 liter soda bottle).

Today I stuck both males in to see what would happen. Male on the left ended up victorious after intense displaying and some fighting, but nothing too serious. Impressive since he was the second male introduced after the first male had 2 dives with the female. Soon as he was in the first immediately challenged him. Afterward I removed the first male and left the male on the left in with the female. Guess I will be using him most frequently for breeding from here on out. Perhaps a way of selecting the better fish?

Dominant male, now trying to convince the female to give just a few extra eggs. He would stick himself into the peat head first waving his tail and if the female was convinced she would do a headstand beside him and they would both "dig" into the peat.

Apologies about the photo quality but taking photos into a soda bottle using a desk lamp for lighting(hence the yellow/green look) doesn't work to well. In life the fish are a kind of purplish black with green or blue irridescence and blue spots.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

Nice looking nigripinnis -- excellent color. You really caught them at their best. How are the Notho fry? Any more hatches? Have you had a chance to try the worm food? Are the gardneri doing anything yet?

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bobby,

No more hatches from the Notho peat. Currently left with 1 female growing up as the other 2 turned into bellysliders for some reason.(must be this time of year?!)

I have not tried the wormfood but will as soon as I get in a new batch of worms. Old batch was doing fine without anything so we'll see if this stuff might make it easier for the new ones to adjust. When do they plan to put it on the market?

Gardneri have laid a few eggs but nothing much yet. I'm hoping to raise lots of these but they need to cooperate first.

I've set these nigripinnis up in a critter keeper with a jar of peat and it is working as others have described(females come over and spawn when they want to). Probably works better than fattening them up and then "forcing" them to spawn.

I reset up the Elassoma evergladei critter keepers(4 pairs total now)...and am already seeing fry in one. 2 pair are in an outside container to see if they do well like that.

Also cleaned the bluespotted sunfish pond and put the adults back today. Hopefully I'll get more fry to live this year(right now only 2 juvies from 100's from last year).

Where are you posting from now?
    ~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Breeding tank. So far it looks like it is working.
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi N,

That breeding tank looks great. Sorry to hear the Nothos are not panning out. I thought they would this time. SA's are easier, though. I'm still in Texas but will be moved by the first of June. The last of the tanks and fish went out this past weekend -- a very funny feeling. I still think those are some great looking gardneri. I hope they produce for you. Good luck on the sunfish. I had no idea their color was so intense. That's a fine looking fish. Check your local Barnes and Noble type bookstores as mine had the big Baensch Atlas #2 on close out for $10 and its a $70 book. I bet they are being dumped so check around for all 3 volumes. At $10 it's a steal -- a 1000 pages of quality information and photos.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL...sure must feel odd with no tanks to dabble in. The one left when she grows perhaps I will either go looking for a male(now know someone who breeds these also) or pass her on to someone else...depending on the situation. She looks like she could produce eggs now or soon.

I've done some flip flopping of stuff and managed to get the gardneri into their own 10 gallon tank. Hopefully that will convince them to start dropping me more eggs. I remember Rosario mentioning in those pages you sent me how he spawned many Fp. over gravel. Wonder if that would be worth a shot with these? So far only tried mops.

I have not seen nigripinnis in full potential and these ones are not yet grown but so far the bluespots and Everglades pygmy sunfish(plan on raising lots of those this year...getting fry) best them as far as black and irridescent blue is concerned. That being said the bluespots are very shy fish. nigripinnis are not at all afraid of showing off.

Thanks for the tip on that book! If I get a chance to go I will surely keep my eyes peeled.

~Joseph
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast