Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fungus Among Us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update! After four days with the CopperSafe, the ich spots seem to have mostly gone away. I'll continue to treat for another week. Sadly, the catfish died and I think this was due to not tolerating the meds. All other fish are healthy and active.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least there is progress! Yeah, catfishes tend to be more sensitive to meds. They usually say to use half strength on them and Tetras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup--read that about tetras, but the neons are buzzing around like there's no tomorrow! I'm keeping the anubia on driftwood out of the tank for another week. I'll put it back when I do a water change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed 50% of the water today and put the anubias on driftwood back in the tank. Had to scrub algae off it first--had it under plant lights! Test strips show a high nitite level, which is to be expected (tank has been running three weeks). But when I tested again after the water change, the level seemed to be the same. I think these color tests strips are designed to make you repeatedly check, and buy more strips. Nitrates are up too, but I understand that they aren't quite as toxic as nitrites, and they should rise if bacteria convert the nitrites, right? The fish look great and I'll wait for the cycle to complete.

P.S. The last spot of ich disappeared 8 days ago, so I hope I'm ok with changing the water (without the CopperSafe added). Total treatment time was 14 days.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like things are pointed in the right direction. When ammonia and nitrites are down to safe levels, then it's safe to add new fish. From what I have read, ich is always present in water, but stress is a catalyst for the parasite to take hold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ugh! After last water change, both of the GMO danios croaked! The only thing I can figure is osmotic shock as I did a hefty water change (50%) and used far less of the Bauman's salts than before. The fish took turns hanging near the bottom with mouths opening and closing rapidly. The angels snacked on them until I removed them. The neons and the angels look stronger than ever. I'll add another cat once the tank cycles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

When you do a water change -- and 50% is fine -- make sure you let the new water hit the water surface as you pour it in to pull O2 into the new water and be sure to de-chlorinate it before adding it to the tank. If you fill a bucket with a hose with the tip of the hose underwater there will be zero dissolved O2 in the new water. Nitrites and nitrates are not really helped by water changes as the bacteria just release more into the new water almost immediately but the fish always love fresh water and water changes will speed the cycle. Make sure you use enough chlorine remover for your area of the country -- ask your LFS -- and watch putting in copper and too many other chemicals as these can reduce O2 in the water. Be sure your outflow on the filter is breaking the surface of the water so it can pull in O2.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that advice Bobby. I'm using mostly bottled RO water and some spring water and pouring above the surface. The angels think they're being fed bloodworms and bite at the water. The nitrite level appears to have dropped and all seems fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast