Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fungus Among Us

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also do as you have with the CP water - plastic milk jugs with water and left to stand, open to the air, so the chlorine evaporates. It wouldn't hurt to have a small tank set up with a sponge filter / pump as an auxiliiary with good bacteria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the CP I collect rainwater in barrels outside. I suppose I could use it for the fish tank. Would I have to boil it first? My barrels collect a lot of stuff.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey i know this is a little late but the last few months have been awful for my poor fish while i learn about care and all that goes with it. i killed a 75 gal. aguarium with ick feeding feeder fish to my oscars. i have since learned quickly that once you see it start treatment right away, i always did the stuff you buy at the pet stores but always lost fish anyways. the one foolproof method that worked wonders and saved my fish was raise water temp to 80 - 82, my fih are south american and can handle 82 but yours would be safer at 80. then along with the treatment stuff also use aquarium salt as directed and within a week everything should clear up. i just went through this last week with some firemouths and a bicher. i lost 1 firemouth and everything else is symptom free after 5 days of treatment, i was told my bicher which is a bottom feeder like catfish wouldn't do well but has pulled through and is very healthy. i wish i would have seen this earlier sorry for the late response if you have any questions just ask

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Careful on the RO/rainwater water changes as you are dealing with very soft usually acidic water then and the pet store may be using harder alkaline water. I rapid drop in water softness especially can kill fish by causing water to fill and rupture their cells. Unless your tap water is bad use tap de-chlorined as this is what the store is probably using.

I have used rainwater all my life on fish when breeding soft acid water loving species. Just collect after it has rained for 15 minutes or so, so that the atmosphere is cleared out. Also, your tank will not cycle well if it has soft acid water as ammonia is non-toxic in such water so the processing bacteria never really grow well.

Bobby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I meant was, if you use tap water, which may contain chlorine, you can store it in the milk jugs, open to the air. Some fish do genuinely enjoy soft, acidic water, though. - like angels, discus, tetras,... I like the idea of a "hospital tank" and it doesn't hurt to have an auxilliary, cycled filter. With a hospital tank, you can move the fish and raise the temperature (as Prizmbatch cited) to speed up the life cycle of the parasite, as well as put medicines in, without messing up the main tank. Also, without a 'host', a parasite has nothing to kill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you said some thing about your angels having a white fuzz, wich makes me wonder if you looked realy close to see if there were any pin holes ? if so then you might have hexamita, wich can have secondary infection wich could look like a millky kida scuzz, wich i think is most often colonaris(a protozoa) . if all this checks out you need to treat for protozoa and bacteria. ich is in the watter at all time unless you use a UV sterilizer, and like said before stress brings it on.

So if you are still having troubles with your angel. give me a more complete description of how they look i will ask my fish doc what it might be and how to treat it.

PS angels are some of my favorite fish so i like to help those with sick ones
    How Can A Plant be a Crime?

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again to all for continued help. I agree to set up a hospital tank Jimscott. In fact, I may leave the current 10 gallon behind as one once I upsize. Angels seem to grow FAST.

I'm not sure what the white fuzz was PSM, but it went away. But I do know what ich looks like, and believe me, they had it. It has cleared to my eye, and yes it may still be present, but the angels are not sick at all. They are a pair of greedy little piggies begging for food and following me everytime I go past the tank.

My newest addition is a pleco (common name bullfrog pleco--don't know genus/species) that blends in perfectly with the driftwood. I have some algae in the tank, but it seems to have eaten a good bit of it and fast. Should I buy algae tablets or can it get by on what's in the tank, along with leftover flake food?

My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just gauge the appetite capacity of the pleco before algae supplements and see what I does with flake food first. Doesn't hurt to buy it, but I'd have a wait and see approach.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast