What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Among Us

What I meant was, if you use tap water, which may contain chlorine, you can store it in the milk jugs, open to the air. Some fish do genuinely enjoy soft, acidic water, though. - like angels, discus, tetras,... I like the idea of a "hospital tank" and it doesn't hurt to have an auxilliary, cycled filter. With a hospital tank, you can move the fish and raise the temperature (as Prizmbatch cited) to speed up the life cycle of the parasite, as well as put medicines in, without messing up the main tank. Also, without a 'host', a parasite has nothing to kill.

you said some thing about your angels having a white fuzz, wich makes me wonder if you looked realy close to see if there were any pin holes ? if so then you might have hexamita, wich can have secondary infection wich could look like a millky kida scuzz, wich i think is most often colonaris(a protozoa) . if all this checks out you need to treat for protozoa and bacteria. ich is in the watter at all time unless you use a UV sterilizer, and like said before stress brings it on.

So if you are still having troubles with your angel. give me a more complete description of how they look i will ask my fish doc what it might be and how to treat it.

PS angels are some of my favorite fish so i like to help those with sick ones

Thanks again to all for continued help.  I agree to set up a hospital tank Jimscott.  In fact, I may leave the current 10 gallon behind as one once I upsize.  Angels seem to grow FAST.  

I'm not sure what the white fuzz was PSM, but it went away.  But I do know what ich looks like, and believe me, they had it.  It has cleared to my eye, and yes it may still be present, but the angels are not sick at all.  They are a pair of greedy little piggies begging for food and following me everytime I go past the tank.  

My newest addition is a pleco (common name bullfrog pleco--don't know genus/species) that blends in perfectly with the driftwood.  I have some algae in the tank, but it seems to have eaten a good bit of it and fast.  Should I buy algae tablets or can it get by on what's in the tank, along with leftover flake food?

I would just gauge the appetite capacity of the pleco before algae supplements and see what I does with flake food first. Doesn't hurt to buy it, but I'd have a wait and see approach.

Good pleco advice Jim. I'm amazed at how fast it ate algae on the anubias. I always thought fish people were a little nuts about their reverence for these fish, but plecos are very cool!

You'd be surprised at the niches of interest that hobbyists have. Although most people see the typical brown pleco, there are Blue Eyed and Clown and other "gourmet" ones out there. Some people are really into their Synodontus cats or the variety or bichirs. I'm still a fan of the fancy guppy and bubblenest builders.

Never mind adding algae tabs for the pleco. Apparently they poop like mad when eating enough! Is it true that they eat driftwood?

I duno about eating drift wood. I had a couple peices in one of my tanks and a large Pleco, and they didn't eat it. They also liked the shript pellets I use to feed the large bala shark I have. My Sword tail tank has an albino pleco in it that is still a baby. I am going to have to get my water tested again as I am having a rash of fish deaths, and can't figure out why.

Back