Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fungus Among Us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two small angelfish in a ten gallon tank (I know, too small). they have a small amount of white fuzz on top of their heads (where the hump is on the male). Should I use a fungicide, and if so, which one? The other fish (four neon tetras and a small cat) don't seem to have this. thanks for your help! BTW, this is a new tank, less than a week old.

My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Do a 50-60% water change every day as your water chemistry is probably a mess due to new tank cycling thus causing the fungus. Sometimes a teaspoon of non-iodized salt per gallon dissolved before pouring into the tank will kill fungus, otherwise, get a good fungicide -- Jungle's Pond Fungus Remover is excellent. Follow directions, remove any carbon from the filter(s) and change 50% of the water daily. Do not add anymore fish for 5-6 weeks and feed lightly until the tank cycles.

Bobby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little update! I (well, the fish) now have ich. I saw two spots that I thought were it Friday morning before I left for the weekend. Well, I'm back Sunday evening to find quite a bit. I used Bausman's Tonic at the rate recommended for ich (2 tsp/gallon of water). The water 80 degrees. Should I do anything else right now?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a variety of things you could do, depending upon your philosophy. you could try to save the fish with an ich remedy, like a product that contains Malachite Green or Formaldehyde or Methylene blue or....or, you can get another vessel / tank and treat the fish separately or you can let the fish fight it off if they can or just start over and have the tank go through the nitrogen cycle. If it were me, I'd let the angelfish fight it out and wait. I'm more concerned about getting the tank cycled so you can get new fish.

About ich: Raising the temp speeds the life cycle up. It also needs a host present to do its dirty work. Supposedly, it is always present and has potential. But it will manifest itself when fish are stressed. It's similar to us and catching colds - resistance has to be down. Formaldehyde and dyes will kill the ich, but formaldehyde will also indiscriminantly kill bacteria. Not sure if the dyes kill bacteria, though.

We also have to be sensitive to your daughter's feeling on how to handle it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Melafix. Quickly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (EntwinedScylla @ April 17 2006,12:45)]Melafix. Quickly.
    Can I use this with the saline bath?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    melafix is an intank treatment, a saline bath (hyper salinity) would be more of a 'dip'.

If I were fighting Ich, I would move the angelfish to a quarantine tank, nuke it with copper, and in the mean time, turn up the temp in the main tank (if nothing else is alive in there.)

meanwhile, get a product like Kent's Garlic extreme and soak the angels food in it, this will improve their feeding response and thus their immune system.

Keep in mind that I haven't kept freshwater in a while, and the fixs I reccomend work well with saltwater fish. I think they will carry over to fresh nicely.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rampuppy. I picked up some Mardel's CopperSafe at the fish store. I took out my anubias on driftwood as a precaution to save the plant. I'll keep all posted. These fish have been through torture (by my ignorance) over the last 10 days and still look happy!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast