User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GMO fish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any opinions on this? I bought a pair of danios that have jellyfish genes in them (GMO or gentically modified organisms). I saw a site (UK based I think) stating that they have no place in the ornamental fish industry. These things are BRIGHT red! I'm sure you could google a pic or two. So, what do you think? I think I'm a dope for what I paid for them!
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, there's not only bright red but neon green and yellow too. It's a mixed sentiment amongst hobbyists too that it's not right to have such genetic modified fish and how infertile they will be.

There was an article in the papers sometime back to prove that these GM fish were indeed fertile; so guess that makes it acceptable now? Not too sure. One thing I know is that this fad didn't catch on as the price was a little steep for a danio.
    Even now when the price has come down to a mere USD 1.60, there's not much of a demand.

Pauline

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A $1.60 US huh? Our local pet shop robbed me big time at 8 bucks each. Thanks for the commentary. I did a little further reading and found that the green color is from jellyfish protein while the red also includes a type of coral protein as well. At least they are fun to watch. The pair chase each other and add a nice personality to the tank.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, we had a little bit of a discussion about them a couple years ago:

Zedbra danio / Jelyfish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for finding it Jim. I did a search but must have used the wrong keywords. I knew you guys wouldn't let this go two years without comment!