What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Plants

Ok, So I have a tank that is great... but the algae is horrible. I have this one plant that totaly holds onto the algae So im taking any thing that has algae atached to it out, any sudgestions on Plants with wide surface area thtat isnt easy for algae to get a hold of?

Thanks!

You can get floating plants, like duckweed. this will cut down on the light below the surface. I also used to propogate a plant called Water Sprite. It is both a rooted plant and will also float and grow out of the water.

Guppies and Mollys would more than likely eat that thought wouldnt they?

and I plan on getting rid of them any ways. how Would I feed them if it got over grown with duck weed?

Mollys like to eat algae, but they really can't keep with it. They won't harm the water sprite. The babies HIDE in the water sprite.

Jim,
How could you even mention such a nuisance plant such as Duck Weed. There is a reason why they call it weed. It will take you a long time to get rid of the crap when you find out how much of a pain it is and want it gone.
I would suggest a very fast growing plant like Hornwort. It will suck the extra nutrients out of the water, which is the cause of the algae. It can be grown floating or you can push it into the gravel.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/hornwort.html

Or another plant that has done well for me is Rotala rotundifolia.
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/rotala.html

Hornwort is also somewhat allelopathic against a few algaes.

96c86d01.jpg

(this is a less grown older photo)
It went from that (the horn wort I think it is?) Is what was holding the algae no mater what I did I couldnt get it all out. And I cleard out all that horn wort... and Cut back some of the other plant that had the majority of the algae

To This!

0d5c5930.jpg

IT will definetaly be getting more plants. IM thinking along the lines of (Cork Skrew plants and swords) I took a quarter size thing of Java Moss (wish was ALSO holidng algae). I think I mainly had WAY to much nutrience. The stuff against the filter is their to try to get it to root again cause That plant had tons of algae on it also, I think This might Help some what Im going to try to keep it under more control next time

Ive also added some Anti-snail stuff, and I saved 6 Malasian Trumpet Snails (I had ramshorn wich I hate), in a seperate container.

cool.gif

Ah... guppies! And Balloon Bodied Mollies?

I hate guppies now they are my demise! Balloon Belly Mollies is their name, and their game? FoooooooooD!
mad.gif

Hey... nice Glowlite.... um....lovely weather we are having..... um... see that topic about the Lungfish?

cant say Ive seen that topic on the Lung fish.... But on the other hand I went to my local semi mom and pop store (they have like 4-5 stores in the area) and got a dwarf lilly, Cork Screw vail and 3 Jungle Vail.

preaty sweet... its looking better, than it was.

5d87e668.jpg

Jim, Just snapped this! hes looking at you!
33fad411.jpg

Cool! And I see even more guppies! They may be the spatulata & capensis of the tropical fish world, but I will always love them. A tank full of guppies was like the only thing that got my daughter, when she was a toddler, to stop crying. She was mesmerized by them.

whats this lung fish convo about I cant find it...

Back