Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pacu tank issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pacu thats pretty good size in a 30 gal. tank all by himself. i know that i can't plant it b/c he'll eat them, so my question is how do i keep the water from turning green? i do a 20% water change every week and it still looks nasty! i have a bio filter that i haven't touched and i have a powerhead for circulation b/c he chewed holes through the tubing for any type of bubbler.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you've heard this before: but a Pacu will get WAY TOO LARGE, we're talking up to a meter in length, for all but the largest aquariums (like over 500 gallons!). And they grow very fast. So unless you've got a 500+ gallon tank or pond waiting for him, then I think your biggest problem now is finding someone to take the fish, I would recommend returning it ASAP. See: Tropical Resources and Age of Aquariums (1) and Age of Aquariums (2)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, no offense but I really, really hate it when peoply do this kind of thing. It's like keeping a lion in your apartment. My uncle caught a red bellied pacu one in our lake that someone threw away.

Your water is green because you've got an elephant swimming in a septic tank. Using the bio-filter (what is it? a LSB?) is no-brainer dude.

Find it a new home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no it's inside for the winter it has a 250 gal pond sitting in my backyard that is it's normal home. and am working on one that doubles in size for next spring when he can go back outside! he isn't very big yet so i have at least till next spring to build a bigger enclosure. i have had big fish and have done my research so i am fully aware of the size my fish can and will become. i adopted him from a breeder as a baby, don't talk to me like i'm an idiot! i know what i got myself into and have acquired all i need to keep a happy healthy pacu and by the way i'm a girl not a dude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you vaccumed the gravel?

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i do that when i do my weekly water change

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OOH ok then that's great! I'm glad you'r responsible. I'd atleast get it a 55 gallon for winter. I guess heating the pond in winter would drain the bank account.

Please accept my appologies! It was wrong for me to assume, but it is a common thing for people to get small fish that grow big.

you could get a uv sterilizer, but that's just a bandaid. there is an excess of nutrients, perhaps even light, that is causing the algea. Put some algea killer in it (assuming no plants, and i'd do a half dose anyway) and do a black out for three days. on my tank (granted it's only a nano) i do a 50% weekly change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah a heater for a pond that would keep the water at tropical temps is very expensive i live in tx and people don't normally need them so i would have to special order one. aldea killer won't hurt my fish? i don't have plants because he would either eat them or dig them up. no offense taken, i've been doing this a while and have learned the hard way to do my research before perchasing an animal. i want all my animals to be happy and healthy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast