Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transporting established tanks

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your well water's parematers?

My well water is almost perfect as far as parems. go (Kh is a little low), but it's cloudy from minerals or something so I use RO and reconstitute the minerals. It was a nightmate getting the formula right but now I know I add this much of this this and this, heat and aerate and it's cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry--wasn't clear. My water is tap, city water and I haven't tested. The guy I'm getting the fish from has well water.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say put the fish in bags. No need to keep much water in the tank, just make sure to keep the gravel and filter medium wet. It'll be heavy enough just with that. If possible, keep as much of the seasoned tank water as you can (but transporting that will be tough). With an active biological filter maintained, and the reduced bio-load from the removed fish, the tank should be fine. To be on the safe side, you could add a lot of fast-growing stem plants to the tank once you get it refilled in its new location. They'll really help to keep ammonia spikes down by sucking up the un-bio-filtered fish wastes. The bio-filter should come back quickly with this method. And, if you don't want the tank planted in the long-term, just slowly remove the stem plants over the next few weeks. The filter should keep up. Just add any fish as slowly as you can. That's my .02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transport is complete. I used three five gallon plastic buckets with lids. This guy had two plecos and one pink tail chalceus, each a foot long, in a thirty gallon long tank. He also had three clown loaches (about 5 inches) and several pink corys (2-3"). All of this in a thirty gallon tank! I donated all to my LFS.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's cruel.. You did the right thing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...they had the space. The chalceus is one cool looking fish but very predatory from what I understand. I'll set up the tank with a couple of small schools of rainbows eventually. First I'll do some repairs. One of the heads on the underground filter is not working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12