Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting established tanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be picking up a 30 gallon tank with fish Wednesday. It contains two large plecos, a large shark and other assorted fish. I'll be giving away some of these fish to my LFS as the tank is way too crowded. Any ideas on how to transport? Should I remove 2/3 of water and transport that way. I think it would still slosh in the car. Any ideas welcome.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the fish in bags and empty the tank as much as possible (completely if you aren't trying to keep bacteria in the gravel alive... the majority will live in the filter anyway). Don't even bother trying to keep the fish in there. Even down to 10 gallons that thing would be heavy and sloshy enough to be unmanagable. I transported a 30 gallon once where I had to keep some water in it, and for it to work it had to be taken down to 5 gallons or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice } ! I thought 10 gallons would be too much. Those plecos are gonna fight when I try to get them out! Maybe I'll bring my fishing gear...j/k.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the biggest concern, should be having a system with established Nitrogen Cycle. Having worked for a wholesaler, we did a lot of "wholesale" moving fish around. All other things being equal, having seasoned filter media saved a lot of "New Tank Syndrome".

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try bio-spira. I've heard it's the real deal unlike those crappy "cycle" liquids.

auctually, if your bioload is low compared to the previous fish, I wouldn't worry too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm taking the whole set up, fish included. So, I'll have the old filter and the old gravel and a portion of the water. Hard to believe but this guy added water straight from his tap with every water change, no conditioner added! Ugh! I'll be finding new homes for some of the fish. Thanks for the help guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does he have well water? That'd be kosher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may have well water. I'll ask. I hesitate to use mine at all. We have hard water and I'm always adding water softner pellets to my water system. I've use a mix of RO and spring water (4:1) for my tank with angels and tetras with success for six months now. But I now have a 15 gallon high and soon to add this 30 gal. I don't have an RO system and buying this water is getter expensive. Maybe I should use my tapwater and add some Stress Coat I have on hand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast