What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting

• Thread starter JBL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    free

JBL

Can anyone recommend the best value for my 36" long 30 gallon tank. My LFS has the Coralife single strip with 96 watts but it runs about $130--yikes. I found a comparable one at this site for $74.95 with free shipping.

http://www.tropicalfishstore.com/discount-lightingPC.htm

Are there any similar light set-ups for less than this out there?

DIY is a great option. Personally I like the look of the PC fixtures.

All I can say is that brands are brands for a reason, and you get what you pay for. I just purchased an odyssea 65 watt PC light fixture, only to find out that it has horrible reviews. I only need it to last a year so I'm hoping for the best. Don't get that light!

Bigalsonline has the same coralife 96 watt strip light for 90 bucks. (you'll have to replace the bulb, however) They also have the freshwater version for 100 bucks that comes with a 6700K bulb. Might aswell order that one because you'll have to buy a new one anyway and the cost will be the same.

They have a Current USA satellite for 80 bucks. 36 inches, 96 watts. It's a good quality light but it's ugly.

I would not buy the light you linked to. For one, I can't believe it has an external ballast. The only reason they would do that is if it got much hotter than a normal fixture. Secondly, they don't list the brand (unless i've missed it). You don't want to pay for a made in china POS like I did lol.

Good choice!

I've heard to get the pro legs because the legs they come with are flimsy.

Back