What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaky Tank - Help!

My tank just started leaking from one of the seams in a pretty small area. It has a very complex ecosystem set up in it which will be painful to move. Just wondering if anyone has a way to safely (for the critters) patch a leak inside a tank while it's full. Marine epoxy putty? Anything? Please advise--

I'd drain the water to about an inch under the leak, dry both sides of the leak the best you can and superglue it liberally. I used to use superglue and superglue gel to attach corals to rocks then put 'em right back in the tank. No harm.

Make sure that both sides of the seam are dry. If the glue is exposed to water it can form a membrane and won't stick so well. Wait a day and refill. Maybe a blow dryer would help, too. This is a short-term fix.....

This is a perfect excuse to get a bigger tank!

If you want to keep it, I highly reccomend tearing it down, drying it out and re-sealing with silicone.

Be sure to get non-toxic silicone. They stuff they sell at most hardware stores has anti-fungal/mildew compounds in it that can poison your water. Read the label carefully and make sure it is okay for aquariums.

Aquarium supply stores and some of the larger pet shops which sell fish & aquariums should sell stuff okay for aquarium use. They might charge almost twice as much as the hardware store variety but it's cheaper than killing off your tank.

Is it possible to drain it down partially and tip the tank such that the leak is exposed and may dry? If possible, then you could apply silicone sealer, that is sold at petshops and it will set in a day.

Thanks for the replies-- it's a complex setup with a bunch of rocks and plants and critters. Just a pain to shift it all to another tank and get the balance back. Just thought someone might have a magical solution, an easy way out. Those rarely exist so... I'll be moving it--

Back