What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mysteries of the deep...

rock.gif
rock.gif

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

Here is a portrait we found at an antique shop. Looks just like my mother and that's why we bought it. It was done by a nazi artist who did propaganda in WWII. No lie. It's like Cisbery Paland then the rest of the name is unreadable. I think it's palmis or palmig. What does it have to do with aquariums? nothing. Just thought the history was neat. I looked it up and couldn't find anything. They prolly lied to us lol

DSC01139.jpg

It's Gisbert Palmie

Oh yeah JBL, that Rotala macandra "green narrow leaf" next to the pellia is yours! I'm waiting until the other plants grow out so I can ship it all in one box.

If anyone wants to trade heaters, let me know! A 300 watt titanium heater is too big...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 10 2006,2:55)]I still need the clean the glass and the water is a little cloudy. What's my secret? SWIFFERS!
Aren't Swiffers treated with an oil or wax or something to make dust stick to them?

Coffee filter paper might be safer.

I think it's some kind of electromagnetic hooplah or something.

I know i've been using them for that for like 4 years and have never had a single problem. Not even the slightest.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 11 2006,11:34)]If anyone wants to trade heaters, let me know! A 300 watt titanium heater is too big...
I have a 100 watt heater but it's an older, not submersible--you can have it if you like. The tank is looking gorgeous. Can't wait to see it as it grows!

Thanks! It's not submersable but I can hide it with stems. I'll send the 300 watter your way when I send the other stuff.

Do you really like it? I'm kind of dissapointed...

I do like it. It just needs time to grow in. Will you have taller stem plants? What about Limnophila aromatica. I saw someone offering that at plantedtank.net--very pretty and pink!

Don't send me the 300 watt heater. I have no use for it. I'll try to send your package wednesday.

Well, the Didiplis Diandra , Rotala Macandra, Ludwigia Repens, and the Mermaid weed will grow tall. L. aromatica is kind of big.. but I might change my mind and get some or some Ludiwigia inclinata "cuba" (I LOVE that stuff!). You know you can cook with L. aromatica. The Downoi and the dwarf Lobelia are low-growing stem plants, particularly the Downoi. I dunno.. the tank just looks clean-cut.

Aww thanks man!

My light came in! It came with a 50/50 bulb so that's why the tank is an ugly blue color. The actinic side is useless. My 10000K lamp should come tomorrow. I thought the legs were really ugly so I put it on the inner lip of the rim. That's probably dangerous.

DSC01151.jpg

My glass bubble counter and diffuser came in! yay!

DSC01147.jpg

My lunar t5 light came in, too. I'll take pics tonight. If it's not bright enough i'll get rid of it.

The bubble counter came with this thing. I have no idea what it's for.

DSC01144.jpg

Maybe it's to hook it up to yeast tank for the CO2 generator?

I wonder if you could use a home brew tank as the generator? LOL

I use a paintball cylinder for the co2.

With flames!

I'm trading the lunar light for 2 pairs of adults Crystal Reds and 6 juveniles. Who could pass that up?

All this stuff is new to me all I have is a Bio filter and a Heater... I clean it every weak... and i haven't had deaths!
rock.gif
Hope things work out for you... I know I want to put sand like should.

Hope shrimp have stopped dieing?

Yep. they are fine now.

I can't use a biowheel since it would outgas all my co2
sad.gif
. Really there's no need for bio media since the plants absorb everything anyway.

plants absorb stuff?

Maybe thats why my live plants arent doing as well...
sad.gif

Yeah. I add potassium nitrate, phosphate, potassium sulfate and trace elements 3x a week. I add Iron daily. I also use Jobes sticks in the substrate. I reconstitute my RO water with Calcium Chloride and Magnesium sulfate and add baking soda for the KH. They also need GOOD light and co2. For some reason my L. repens has white leaves. I dunno what i'm not giving it.

Live plants are harder than a reef aquarium IMO. Cheaper, yes, but harder.

I haven't had a problem except for snails! which are depriving them of good chances to photosynthesize, and theirs a good snail called Malaysian trumpet snail, and they ariate the soil, and help clean up the tank, they don't eat plants unless theirs nothing else to eat, aka a perfectly clean tank. So the bio-filter would keep that nice snail out and kill them if I added them again... jerk filter..

JERKS!

Back