Thread: How to control algae?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunday:
    Waterchange
    1/8 teaspoon nitrate (Grants stump remover)
    1/32 teaspoon phosphate (fleet enema)
    1/32 teaspoon potassium (no-salt, salt substitute)

Monday:
    2.5 mL trace (Flourish, etc.)
    1 mL iron (Flourish Iron) **optional**

Tuesday:

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday:
    Tank day off - no ferts

edit: If you are using Fleet enema, change 1/32 teaspoon Phosphate to 1/2 mL Fleet

This is for a 10 gallon high light co2 enriched plant-filled aquarium. This is for an aquarium filled with stem plants and HC and downoi and such. You need more stem plants and get rid of the plants such as the vals. They will grow too big and get ugly. Think about didiplis diandra or Ammania sp. "bonsai".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea the day 7 stuff got added in but I don't plan on using any of that stuff and I know to change more then 5%. So it all looks good to make the order and get the stuff here. Thanks for the help, you're like a genuis or something.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem.

Genius? Haha I wish. I gave up planted aquaria when my co2 regulator quit for 3 days while I was out of town and when I got home it was so bad I gave up lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this kinda got turned into a fertilizer topic but the algae is still growing. By fertilizing will that help control it? I have my ferts coming so when they get here I'll start that. Maybe if I add more plants? I'm adding the oto cats and cherry shrimp on Friday but I doubt they will take care of all it and prevent it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, perhaps I could help. I've been into planted tanks for about two years now, I have 4 planted tanks now (55, 30, 10 and 5 gallons), and I am happy with my results.

First off, I think your setup is on the right track. You have sufficient lighting, a good substrate, and you chose appropriate plants for a low-light tank (except the Rotala magenta, that is definitely a high-light plant). Adding the CO2 via the Hagen is great also, just be sure to keep up with the changes of the yeast and sugar solution. I also like how you've cammed your tank with plants.

Please answer for me the following:

1. How bad is your algae problem? You've only described it as being on the glass...is it covering your plants, coating the decorations, etc.? What does the algae look like? Is it just some green spots on the glass, or thick hairy stuff, or something else? Keep in mind that no planted tank is free of algae completely, the best you can do is manage it.

2. What kind of lighting do have? And are your lights on a timer?

Also, I don't think adding a bunch of fertilizers is going to help much. I think it would be best if you simply added only CO2...but that's it, no Fluorish Excel, no blackwater extract, etc. At the most I would recommend a dose of Fluorish once a week, but that's it for ferts. Your fish (via the food you feed) should provide plenty of nutrients. Your setup (a low-light tank) simply does not call for an elaborate fertilizing regiment. The most it's going to do is provide plenty of iron and phosphorous for growing algae, as the plants won't use as much as you add.

Let me know your answers, I'll check back soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12