User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resist Urge to Kill Endangered Species...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shooting it is not a good preventative solution. Even if you shoot it, another may find your barrel again. Not today, not tomorrow, not for years, but if you keep fish it will happen again, and you only discover the results after the crime has been committed, usually. And, considering the price of the fish in question, that is not a financially smart option. Be proactive, not reactive, in solutions. And that does not mean shooting ever fish eating bird you see, because you will miss some, you might get caught, and you almost never see the ones that only come out at night. Who among us has ever seen a night-heron? I have been birdwatching all my life, and I would know one when I saw it.

The only way to be 100% positive that your barrel wont be depleted by predators is to net it. Decoys do not always work. Its not pretty, but it can be unobtrusive if done right, though. Other methods can be effective, but they are not fool-proof. If you can afford a bit of leeway and loss, go for it. You should decide what you value more: the half barrel as an ornamental fixture, or the fish you keep in it.
    that makes no logic

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try stocking another barrel with feeder goldfish or something. Maybe they'd pay less attention to the show fish if there were easier hunting nearby. Sorry to hear of your loss - best luck!
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not familiar with heron behavior, but its common for many birds, once finding food, to search around the area for more, because food often is found in clusters. Like a good fishing spot where fish are trapped, or a berry bush, or a insect population on a plant, or a small group of grasses seeding. If (IF) herons did the same, i fear that just more fish for the taking.
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12