What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cooked alive

I went into my room yesterday and I checked my aquarium
DSCF1372.jpg

DSCF1368.jpg

well thats not how it looked my aquarium heater had malfunctioned, I got it form a garage sale.
well it overheated my water to the pint that it was steaming my fish were bloated they had been cooked alive and there insides split open
fishdeath4.jpg

my snail was still alive i quickly turned off the heater and poured some cool water in the tank not too much cause i didn't want the snail to enter into shock. my snail is alive still but I expect a slow recovery.
the water was reallly hot the fish's stomaches had split open and this poor fish got his insides sucked out by the filter
fishdeath5.jpg

fishdeath2.jpg

it was horrible its insides were sucked out when I flushjed it down the toilet i could clearly see the inside of the fish sucked clean. :puke:
this fish had its tail nibbled off so I put a divider in the tank and his tail was growing back
fishdeath9.jpg

you cant see it wll but there is the other fish you can kinda make ouit the hoile in his side
fishdeath6.jpg

Oh god :cry:

Ouch. That is a bad way to go, cooked alive may just make the top ten worst ways to die. :0o:

That is terrible news. Sorry to hear about that. I guess you have to be careful what you buy at garage sales.

xvart.

Oh man.. if something like that happened in my tank I would be heartbroken. I am sorry to hear about the tragedy. Looks like you had some beautiful and healthy fish.

Sounds like a good time to invest in a Visitherm "Stealth" heater. I have one in my tank and I absolutely love it. It keeps my 55g at a constant 79* year round, is shatterproof, has a completely black housing and body which hides well, and also has an auto shutoff mode that prevents it from burning out if you forget to unplug it when doing water changes.

Cheers,
Steve

Sorry to hear about that... I have had the opposite happen when I lost power for several days due to an ice storm and a tank full of large discus, including a couple of spawning pairs.

Good aquarium heaters are expensive, but they're WELL worth the investment. I only use fully submersible aquarium heaters, and have used lots of different brands (Visi-Therm, Ebo-Jager, Rena) and all of them have been reliable. Generally speaking, the submersible heaters are WAAAY more dependable than those hang-on-the-back deals.

Oh man.. if something like that happened in my tank I would be heartbroken. I am sorry to hear about the tragedy. Looks like you had some beautiful and healthy fish.

Sounds like a good time to invest in a Visitherm "Stealth" heater. I have one in my tank and I absolutely love it. It keeps my 55g at a constant 79* year round, is shatterproof, has a completely black housing and body which hides well, and also has an auto shutoff mode that prevents it from burning out if you forget to unplug it when doing water changes.

Cheers,
Steve

this one still works it keeps it 80 if I keep the refilling the evaporated water,beisdes i am not going to start another hobby. my snail is alive and doing well I am going to try and give him back to the petstore so I can use this tank as a terraium

Same thing happened to me about a year ago, only I didn't lose so many fish. It was pretty depressing. Sorry about your loss :-(

Back