What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

(56k nono)Less than a month in, and already needed a trim

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hello, just a little update :) It's been less than a month since I set this all up, and I already needed to do some trimming to keep the light coming all the way down to the smaller plants in the front. simply amazing!

2 before pictures
before+first+trim+1-27-08.JPG

before+first+trim+1-27-08+front.JPG

The runners(?... plants growing on flower stems)
P1010369.JPG

The cabomba before and after (even after my cuttings, I think this stuff is taller than when I bought it less than a month ago!)

cabomba+b4+1-27-08.JPG

cabomba+aftr+1-27-08.JPG

And finally, the after pictures :) (yes, "junk" is still floating around in these)
after+first+trim+1-27-08.JPG

after+first+trim+1-27-08+front.JPG

Hope you enjoy as much as I am!!
Andrew

It's lookin greaet andy!

its filling in beautifully, another couple months and it will look even better.

now that you have trimmed your cabomba back, it will send up offsets from the bottom. and it will get bushier and fill in the back.

I think this first trimming will give you enough body that you can just start nipping the tops off for a while to keep it from running along the surface. eventualy, it will probably lose body down low, and you will want to sacrifice the older part of the plant and bunch all the new growth and start over.

How are the Apongenoten bulbs coming?

Very nice, its like a garden.

Just out of curiosity, are you adding CO2 to this tank? That helped my planted tank immensely.

Ram- the bulbs are coming!! I'll get you pics here shortly... I think one of the 3 is not what I ordered though, it looks different :-\

Jeztor- No, I've not added any CO2. Only thing I've done is 1 fert. tab under each sword... What CO2 system are you using? I've been tossing around the idea of trying it out.

Andrew

Nice tank. I seriously don't see any fish though :) lol . Am I horribly blind?

haha- in the last picture I can see one above the horizontal filter out tube...

omg it's alive :)

You might as well buy some glass fish while you're at it :)

hahah I actually LOVE a school of glass catfish. they look so cool. but because of the shrimp, i gotta stick with small fish. you can't see them well in these pictures, but just the few I have are very active and look very good in the tank. I need to add maybe another 10 fish and that's it.

cabomba+b4+1-27-08.JPG

I know a pond near here that's full of that stuff, or something that looks like it.

I posted pics of it before. It was so think that I could barley paddle through it.

Why not just walk across it? :D haha - find that post would ya? ;) that stuff grows CRAZY fast!! Look in the picture of after the trim... See where it's at? ...it is already up to that horizontal tube again!!

Ram- the bulbs are coming!! I'll get you pics here shortly... I think one of the 3 is not what I ordered though, it looks different :-\

Jeztor- No, I've not added any CO2. Only thing I've done is 1 fert. tab under each sword... What CO2 system are you using? I've been tossing around the idea of trying it out.

Andrew

My LFS recommended this system to me, and they were actually uses 2 of them together on a display tank in the store. I was reluctant at first, but like most people I couldn't afford the investment for a real CO2 gas system. It's easy to install. You just place the plastic bubbler inside the tank, preferably hidden, and the cannister hangs on the back. It has this yeast concoction that produces the CO2 for anywhere from 2-4 weeks. The set comes with two packets to start, and you can buy more singles afterward.

I added some minerals,, along with this system to this tank of mine which I kept Rainbows in and I have to say...my plants simply exploded after adding this. It's a more complete biosphere than no CO2 added and it seemed like everything just flourished. I'd highly recommend it.

Ugh... it works but more trouble than it's worth. Spend the money on a real co2 system. Saves a LOT of headaches. Well until it blows up in your face.

If you DO buy that, don't buy the replacement packets. It's just yeast and baking soda. Wine yeast is better than regular yeast once you run out BTW

Yeah, the people that are using that make their own mixes... there are a few topics with suggested mixes. I kinda think if I'm going to jump into co2... I'll just jump all the way in. That's kinda how I roll. lol

Good choice! Don't get the RedSea paintball tank kit, however. One blew a hole through the regulator on me, another different one wouldn't stay pressurized and let all the gas out.

Piece of crap. DEFINITELY get a solenoid valve. Definitely worth it.

Really? that's the one I was looking at haha

If you're willing to invest in the real thing, more power to you man. It has its own set of challenges, though.

JLAP, I didn't find the fermentation sytem to be troublesome at all, actually. For a 30 gallon tank it did perfectly for me for about 8 months until I had to move.

It was trouble because it ran at night (unless you want to disconnect it every night), was dependent on the temperature, didn't reach high a high enough PPM for that steroid-growth I like, and each batch of yeast could be different.

Not to mention the weird slime on the ladder. It's OK but a real co2 system is worth the peace of mind of knowing exactly what you'll get, when you'll get it, and being able to crank it up or turn it down.

If you put a airstone on a timer to run when the lights are off... It doesn't matter if the co2 runs at night.

Back