0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a female betta just as a pet, they're too cute

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I've read up on how to breed bettas a long time ago, so I know how to, I just wasn't sure if I wanted to because I don't have nearly enough room to house baby fish and then try to sell them So breeding is a no. I'll find some other fish or frog to put in the tank later when my tank is more stable
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you get a frog make sure you get the right kind, those African frogs get mislabeled... make sure it doesn't have claws!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I read up on those too Thanks!
    Great Googly Moogly!

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to keep a male betta and a few African Dwarf Frogs (the small, non-aggressive frogs) together. They all got along well. I had a bit of trouble when it came to feeding though. Be careful, the pet store will try to sell you the processed frog food in a little container. The processed stuff can cause all kinds of health problems. They need frozen bloodworms to be healthy. It's not much of a hassle at all. Most of the big pet chains have a freezer section. About half a cube is more than enough for three frogs and the pack will last for months. The only issue with this is, Mr. betta is going to think he's gone to betta heaven lol. They love the stuff and will over eat on it every time. The good thing is the frogs only need to be fed every other day.

Just something to think about . It could be solved easily but just netting the betta when it comes time for the frogs to eat (they take awhile, I don't know how the poor things survive in the wild).

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Crystal. I didn't know I had to feed the frogs bloodworms, but once you said it I thought it might be a problem because I know Betta's love it. That's what I use as a treat to feed mine.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    You could never breed a betta by just putting a female and male together. The male needs a shallow warm tank slightly darkened with Indian almond leaves and something to make a bubble nest under. A female is not filled with eggs unless she has vertical bars, NOT horizontal. you must first condition them both with healthy rich foods for maybe 2 weeks, then place them in a ten gallon together and... well I give up, its a really complicated process, if you really want to try I will tell you. It would take FOREVER to type. You betta is a veil tail betta (the most common sold) but is not a normal betta. Normal bettas all have short tails and not just the females.
    However... I did so when I was a teen. I had one male and one female with the the white spot on the belly, full of eggs. My tank had hiding places and they spawned. I've also bred Paradise Fish, T. trichopterus, C. lalia, C. labiosa, and Pearl Gouramis. I had Water Sprite as floating plants, which they used for the bubblenest.

Obviously, you don't toss a female that isn't ready in there, but as long as she's egg laden and has adequate hiding places, they'll spawn and she'll survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ALL female bettas have a swollen oviposter, and it doesn't mean they have any eggs in them, they are only ready to mate if they develop vertical bars. They must be conditioned and should never be left together for to long. You also shouldn't keep betta males with betta females because after they mate the male will attack the female as a threat to his kids. I believe you got lucky with them breeding like that and under normal circumstances would never breed like that. Also since the way they breed has a lot of aggression they must be checked on VERY often. They should NEVER be put together the way you described.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast