What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new Betta

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Just thought I'd share a pic of my new fishy, Lava.

new-4.jpg

VERY nice!!!

what are you keeping him in? He looks awesome, does his tank compliment his colors? To clarify, can we have a full tank shot. :poke: LOL

Nice looking betta I used to have one when I was little it died I'm not sure how long I had it, but it was a birthday gift from my grandmother in one of those vases with marbles at the bottom..

Cute! Now get a picture with him looking at his reflection, with gills flaring and fins stretched out.

He's in a ten gallon tank by himself. I want to make sure I do it right this time so my fish don't die. But now I'll have to find fish that Lava won't nip at.

Yeah, jimscott he does that all the time, lol. I can't seem to get a pic of it though :p

Is he a normal Betta? I'm just curious because his fins/tail are white with a hint of blue in there too, and most normal Betta's I see have fins that are the same color as their body.

He looks very happy though, he's not all cramped up in a small cup anymore!

Here's a pic of his tank.

PixandLava013.jpg

Bettas come in all sorts of color combinations. He's fine and normal. Now get an egg-laden female and add some vegetation.

Very nice fish! Bettas are nice looking and easy to care for! :)

Bettas come in all sorts of color combinations. He's fine and normal. Now get an egg-laden female and add some vegetation.

I saw some really nice females, but I wasn't sure if I should get one. What if they breed and I have a bunch of little dudes, I don't have room for them! I tried breeding them when I lived in Canada and the male was quite nasty, lol. The female ended up commiting suicide, she jumped out of the bowl :-( I guess she didn't like the male.

Very nice Trapper! He's just a regular betta. There are a few other types of betta, including those that have been bred for special fin attributes, and then you have your "wild type" bettas that are different species.

I've had both male and female bettas off and on over the last 6 or so years. They are great fish. I wouldn't recommend putting a female in with the male. They are both aggressive and my end up killing one or the other, or simply getting sick from stress. Special precautions have to be taken to successfully raise the offspring. It can be difficult getting them to breed sometimes too.

You can however, keep several females together in a 10 gallon aquarium. The trick is to have plenty of hides. I used those cheap clay flower pots you can get. Some I knocked holes in, some I just turned on their sides. I also had plastic plants and coconut halves for them to hide in.

Good luck!
Crystal

Thanks, Crystal :) I guess I'll leave out the female because I don't want anybody dying.

It's okay as long as she's egg-laden (white spot on belly) and there's enough hiding places.

Unless you properly condition both for breeding and know what you're doing, don't house males and females together without a divider (easy and cheap to make a homemade one if you wanted). After they breed they have to be separated or they will end up killing each other. Plus you have to be ready to house possibly 200+ babies and find new homes for them.

Like Crystal said you could house 4-6 females together in a heavily planted 10 gallon, but you would still need to keep a close eye on them, and you already have one male.

Some bettas can get along with snails, african dwarf frogs, corys, or ghost shrimp. It depends on his specific personality.

Thanks for the info everyone :)

You could never breed a betta by just putting a female and male together. The male needs a shallow warm tank slightly darkened with Indian almond leaves and something to make a bubble nest under. A female is not filled with eggs unless she has vertical bars, NOT horizontal. you must first condition them both with healthy rich foods for maybe 2 weeks, then place them in a ten gallon together and... well I give up, its a really complicated process, if you really want to try I will tell you. It would take FOREVER to type. You betta is a veil tail betta (the most common sold) but is not a normal betta. Normal bettas all have short tails and not just the females.

I want a female betta just as a pet, they're too cute :)

Thanks :) I've read up on how to breed bettas a long time ago, so I know how to, I just wasn't sure if I wanted to because I don't have nearly enough room to house baby fish and then try to sell them :) So breeding is a no. I'll find some other fish or frog to put in the tank later when my tank is more stable :)

if you get a frog make sure you get the right kind, those African frogs get mislabeled... make sure it doesn't have claws!

Yup, I read up on those too ;) Thanks!

Back