What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cycling? (how to saftly speed it up)

• Thread starter Ant
  • Start date

Ant

Your one and only pest!
Hi, I have a 10 gallon tank I need to cycle and I was wondering if there was a way to speed it up. I am freaking out over this because I wanna get it started before I put anything in there, other then decor...

Cycling with pure ammonia may speed it up. I did this with my 55 gallon aquarium. Though I would advise you to do some more reading on the subject before buying ammonia and dumping it in.

http://www.algone.com/fishless_cycling.php

If you had another aged aquarium set up (properly cycled and maintaining life), taking gravel and filter media from that aquarium, as well as some water could result in an almost instant cycle if done properly with the right load of fish. I have done this too in the past.

If you don't already have another aquarium, you will have to wait. Cycling is a natural process and the production of the different types of bacteria can only be sped up so much.

Crystal

I prefer to do it naturally with just swapping filter media or pads from an established tank. It only takes a week or twoI think. Plus, you don't have to worry about any residue left from anything else introduced into the tank.

Back