My area's municipal water district is changing from chlorine to chloramine as a disinfectant in the tap water.
I own a male betta and I have to change his water every week. I use one part tap water and one part RO water to keep some minerals and salts in his water (I know they don't do well in pure RO water). I let the tap water sit for about two days in order for the chlorine to evaporate away before changing the betta's water.
Now that they are changing to chloramine treated water, I am concerned. They have been showing a commercial with a little talking fish on TV that says that the new tap water is safe for humans, dogs, cats, and other nonaquatic animals.
Does this mean that the chloramine is more harmful to fish (my betta) than chlorine?
Will I be able to use my same treatment method? In other words, will the chloramine evaporate from the water if given enough time?
I have been using my method with the chlorinated water for about a year and have had no problems with my fish.
Thanks for the help!