Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bettas Unite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Bettas Unite!

So, apparently lots of people have bettas so maybe people can just post theirs here for us to OHHH and AHHHH over. Here is my dude and his tank. He is not very photogenic. He lives in a 5gal tank with 3 Endler's Livebearer males (basically invisible or very blurry in both pics) and some random snails that snuck in with plants. Plants include Java Moss, Java fern, crinkly edged Javas fern (technical name?) and Water Lettuce. In the great tradition of the previous bettas before him I call him Sparky III. (Note, the water looks kinda off but that is just because I have some nasty yellow/cream walls behind the tank that makes it very unattractive...so please no accusations that the water needs changing)

The Whole Tank View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice coloration and nice set up. Maybe he needs a girlfriend??

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beautiful Betta! Not gonna suggest a g/f. Last time I did that, it was met with some opinions to the contrary.

What is in that second picture? Is that a guppy or an endler?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    That's a beautiful Betta! Not gonna suggest a g/f. Last time I did that, it was met with some opinions to the contrary.
    LOL, that would have been in my thread

Nice Betta and tank, allegedhuman! I love the way you have those rocks! (Not the gravel). I must copy you now! Where can I find me some slate rocks like that? Pet store? Your tank looks like a 10 gallon from the pics. Now I'm going to Google what an Endler is
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yah, It happened to me to, except the opposite, someone suggested getting a girl friend. Weird huh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAham yeah I've read the whole "female betta/breeding heated debate" in Trapper's thread..gonna stay away from that...

Jim, the blurry fish in pic 2 is one of the Endler's Males...but basically they look just like guppies with slightly different colors/patterns and there is argument that they are guppies. At one time they were classified as guppies, then considered wild guppies, now still debate and I am not totally sure what they are exactly other than cute and colorful. Anyways they can breed with normal domestic guppies. Perhaps I will try to get a pic of them but the little buggers don't really ever slow down for a pic.

Trapper. Here are my best tips on how I decorated my tank for you to snatch as your own if you like. I got those rocks just from random places outside. Lots of them collected from walks, along beaches (I live near freshwater lake so no worries about salts), etc, which were just laying around decorating some gardens and walkpaths around my house until I snatched them for my tank. I don't think any of them are specifically slate but just avoid using limestone or crumbly sandstone rocks.

I used black and green thread to tie the java moss and some java ferns to the top of the flat rocks for the cave bridges. The java moss effectively grows around and up to hide the thread quickly and the java ferns have roots that can anchor them to rocks and thread later removed or the thread just kinda camouflaged as roots.

The floating bundle of java moss at the top is sitting on top of a cork, otherwise it always sinks to the bottom nearly immediately. It just sits on top of the cork and drapes over and around to hide it completely.

In the back I have a small piece of plastic needlepoint canvas that I was working on covering with java moss and java ferns tied to it with string trying to make a background of plants and to give added height since most of my plants are short but I ran out of plants to completely hide the white plastic canvas so I'll need to finish that later.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A co-worker of mine has Endlers and has been attempting to give them away. I became a recipient of some of them, along with a fluorescent light and a few other aquarium items. I exchange, I gave her a D. capensis and D. binata. Incredibly, the Endlers are surviving in the grow rack, open tray, among the pots of utrics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice allegedhuman! I wonder how I can tell if the rocks I have around my pond are limestone or crumbly sandstone rocks. I wouldn't want to use those and kill my fishy
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast