Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water temp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't find the package it came in, but it says ELITE on the heater, it may be by Hagen, I'm not sure, but the nob only says "higher" or "lower" on it, so it doesn't have a set temp I can turn it to. This is what I thought I had to do: To get the temp higher, turn the nob right (higher direction) and when it reaches the temp you want it at according to your thermometer, then turn the nob left (lower direction) just enough so the light goes off. Then it should stay at the temp you want it at. Mine doesn't. I'm trying to find the type of heater I have on the web, but I can't so far. I'm obviously using it wrong, can someone help me? Will this hurt my fish? I heard water temp changes can cause Ick and that's what happened with the first fish I had and they all died. I don't want it to happen again!
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast MidnightSkies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever seen a heater that was set by just "higher or lower." Since it got to 82 I would definitely try turning it down slighty and let it turn off on it's own to make sure that it actually does. Some heaters decide to make fish soup by just never turning off. Watch it closely to make sure it doesn't cook your fish. As far as I know though you shouldn't have to turn the dial every time the heater turns on. If it isn't working properly I would invest in a new heater. What size tank do you have? A light could be heating up the water as well, especially if it's a small tank. Temp fluctuations do stress fish which makes them at a higher risk for diseases. It doesn't cause anything itself though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a ten gallon, and the light is off all night and then I turn it on in the morning, so I'm sure that makes the temp go up. I had the same heater in Canada, it only had "higher" "lower" arrows on it. It's off right now, and the temp still goes up to 82 because I turn the light on, so I can't turn it any lower because it's already off. I don't turn the dial every time the heater turns on, just when it's reached the right temp. I don't know what to do, except get a new heater.
    Great Googly Moogly!

animal lover, aquarium and CP enthusiast MidnightSkies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably get a new heater just to hopefully get rid of the headache. If you do, make sure it's one that you can set a temp on. I would personally reccomend Visi-Therm Stealth. I've seen them at Petco recently for around $23 for a 25W one. I also have a 10 gallon and I've never noticed my light even make the temp go up by 1 degree. You could very well have a different light, possibly sunlight, and different room temp, but I think it would help to get a heater that you don't have to constantly monitor and that you can set and know what it's at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont bother to even check or adjust the temp of the "new" water going into the tank..
    but it depends on how large your tank is, and how much water you are replacing.
    If you have a 10 gallon tank are relpacing 50% of the water, adjusting the temp of the new would probably be a good idea..otherwise, dont bother.

(also..if you have a 10 gallon, consider upgrading!
    10 gallon tanks are really too small for a stable environment..
    If I were king of the universe, I would make 29 gallon tanks the absolute minimum allowed,
    and even though im not king of the universe, IMO "goldfish bowls" should be illegal, and considered animal abuse..
    but I digress..)

I have a 28 gallon tank, and I replace 5 gallons when I do a water change,
    so thats about 20%..

I simply let the "new" water sit in a bucket for 24 hours, to dispell chlorine to to warm to room temp.
    then I do the water change (siphon and all that)
    then dump in the 5 gallons!
    yes, its at "room temp" and is usually slightly cooler than the tank water,
    (which I think I keep around 78 degrees..I havent checked the temp in years)

IMO, its "close enough" and the fish have never seemed to mind..
    in fact, the angelfish love to swim in the stream of new water as I pour it in!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to both of you!

I can't upgrade even though I want to. I have no room (or the money, even if it is only $100) for a larger tank.
    Great Googly Moogly!

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm almost positive the problem is not the heater. It is natural temperature fluctuations. If the temperature in your house goes up, the temperature of the tank water will go up as well; the two are almost always directly related.
    Unfortunately, the only real solution is to buy a $200+ amqaurium chiller, which I'm sure you probably won't want to do.
    So in my honest opinion, that fluctuation is nothing to worry about. A few degrees won't do any harm unless you have some ridiculously difficult to care for fish. My tank experiances fluctuations of sometimes over 6 or 7 degrees during the winter.

One thing you can try to do is move the tank out of any possible sunlight (that is, if it is recieving sunlight) or away from any heater or air conditioning vents.

Good luck and have fun!
    Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks theyellowdart. I have a Betta and a Dwarf Pleco, I think both are hardy fish, but I could be wrong. The temp never goes above 82. I was just worried that the constant change in temp will cause Ick.
    Great Googly Moogly!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast