Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goldfish!!!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't see where the controversy is... It seems the topic starter admitted he wasn't being the best pet owner, and didn't care about that... then he was called out on it. done. It doesn't need to turn into these little phrases poking each other trying to get a reaction.
    Back on topic.
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The unknown is an oranda goldfish, a type similar to the Chinese lionhead.

Those Pearlscale goldfish have nothing wrong with them, and in fact, we (The Chinese) often think that being wide (fat) shows prosperity. (An ancient belief, of course.)
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh...Ooookay lots of post Anyways now that you guys mentioned it i know its small but as much as i would like to have a bigger tank (believe me i would) i can't cos my house is fully occupied and i cant just put in a bigger tank...So yeah in a way bad fish grower etc etc..

Sooo aside from the small tank thingy how about water temp and food? I feed them normal fish pellets which soo far they are reacting quite okay to it..The pearlscales are eating less then the others though.....They seem to be soo slow at reacting to the presence of food...

Another thing is....The last time i had them the pearscales died because of some disease where they're lips/mouth turn red...Approx half the mouth is red (patches of it and stuff)
    Well i have a growlist her but anyways heres mine in another forum.

http://www.forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=1119

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a couple things to add. A friend of mine keeps moors. Sometimes they and other fish with the super round abdomens will have too much buoyancy and not be able to remain down where they should be for any extended period of time without popping right back up.

It's a gas and air bladder problem that they are prone to. She remedies that by putting them out in her 4' deep pond for recovery. Though they can not stay down for long in that condition, they can diver down long enough for the greater water pressure to fix the problem.

If you can't provide them with a tank that's at least a couple feet deep, if that problem ever occurs, due to a tank that size being expensive, you could consider making them an indoor pond type setup. You get more bang for your buck with those I think. You'd just get some 2"x4" 's, frame up the walls, put plywood on the inside, cover with a liner, add a pump and filter and you've got a great habitat for them. You could go as big as your floor is capable of supporting.

Those wide little fish were bred to be viewed from the top anyway. And if you're worried you won't be able to see the moors against a black liner, you could always put down some light colored aquarium gravel in there.

Here's a how-to on it. Just scale it down to whatever size you have room for.

http://joeskoi.com/diyindoorpond.htm

http://joeskoi.com/ponddiary2007.htm

You could watch your local builder's places for sales and promotions. You can find what you need on sale sometimes. If the basement wasn't so loaded full of other stuff (like the furnace, water softener, etc), I'd build one for myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys....Just another question....Considering i have green algae on the rocks of my aquarium and just some small dots of algae on the glass..Do they actually provide anything to the fish Food?? Oxygen??
    Well i have a growlist her but anyways heres mine in another forum.

http://www.forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=1119

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    Actually the algae produce a little of oxy gen but too much will kill the fish in the night they will take all oxygen in the night so remove them by hands.
    My grow list
    For advertise !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TranMinh View Post
    Hi,
    Actually the algae produce a little of oxy gen but too much will kill the fish in the night they will take all oxygen in the night so remove them by hands.
    a few tiny algae spots will NEVER consume enough oxygen at night to suffocate fish..
    it cant happen..you really need totally green water, millions of algae plants in the water itself, so that you cant even SEE the fish..maybe then the fish would suffocate at night..maybe..
    algae on the glass alone will never, ever, suffocate fish..

Kento,
    the algae spots are fine..they have zero benefit, but also do zero harm..
    remove them if you want, but you dont have to..
    most people scrape off the algae after it builds up for awhile..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
    Hi guys....Just another question....Considering i have green algae on the rocks of my aquarium and just some small dots of algae on the glass..Do they actually provide anything to the fish Food?? Oxygen??
    actually..build up of "gunk" on the rocks is a good thing!
    because its not just algae..its also a big part of the tanks "bio filter"..

the bio filter is all the beneficial bacteria that lives in the tanks filter media, but also on every surface in the tank..on all the gravel, on the glass, on rocks, on plants..etc..

when you clean the filter, you should only rinse out the filter media in the bucket of old tank water from the water change..never rinse it out in tap water, because the chlorine will kill the bacteria..

yes, technically the build up on the glass can be considered part of the tank's bio filter..
    but its such a small amount, that cleaning the glass does not harm the overall balance of the tank..

but I wouldnt bother to ever clean rocks..all that nice green-brown biological buildup is beneficial to the balance of the tank..its not literal food for the fish, but it still helps them by neutralizing the ammonia they excrete..

also, when you clean the gravel, you should only use the gravel vaccum to remove the big solid chunks of waste (mostly fish excrement)..there is no need to ever physically remove the gravel from the tank and clean it..
    My planted tank has been running for 15 years now..I have never once removed the gravel..I only vaccum it..the bio filter also lives on every particle of gravel in the substrate..

If you are using a Under Gravel Filter (UGF) then you have more serious cleaning issues..
    but hopefully UGF's are slowly going extinct..please dont use one..they are no good.

the only exception to this "beneficial buildup" on tank surfaces is blue-green algae..which is a bad thing and needs to be removed (killed)..but you will know if you have that..it forms gunky green mats that grow all over everything..its obvious..

but if you just have a thin layer of stuff coating the rocks, that doesnt actually grow in long strands out into the water..then that is fine..and actually a good thing.

if you have *pretty* rocks you want to keep clean, so you can see the surface of the rocks, it wont *hurt* anything to keep them scrubbed off..but its not necessary either.

Scot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast