Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goldfish!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goldfish!!!

Hello everyone.........Today i just got some new goldfish as i thought i would give it a try again since well the last time i had it....Didn't go that well...I don't really expect that much from this batch but i wanna try my best.....I have no experience with goldfish whatsoever..I just put anti chlorine in the water which is what i always do to the other fishes (which got called home by the lord during my 2 weeks holiday) I bought 3 types...My aquarium is really small and obviously they are cramped but oh well.....I know 2 of the fishes ID but 1 i don't know....Whoever knows anything bout them please teach me Here are some pics

Black Moor Goldfish

ID

Pearlscale

Thanks for viewing :1 thumbup:

Ken
    Well i have a growlist her but anyways heres mine in another forum.

http://www.forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=1119

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the id needed goldfish looks a lot like a Pompom goldfish
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size tank is that? By the looks of it, keeping one in there probably wouldn't work. Goldfish need 25+ gallons to be happy and even more space when they get older.

These fish can get to be around 10" fully grown. You won't have any success keeping them cramped.

Also, something is definitely not right with the last two.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have adequate filtration and siphon off the solid material every week. Goldfish are notoriously messy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are going to keep goldfish at all, you should have a 29 gallon tank at the absolute minimum size,
    and keep only one or two goldfish in a 29 gallon tank, never three.

If you want to keep 3 or more goldfish, look into 40 or 55 gallon tanks..

no goldfish (not even just one) should ever be kept in a 10 gallon tank...
    its FAR too small, and the fish will only weaken and die..
    if goldfish die in only a few weeks, its because they were living in bad conditions..
    either in crowded conditions at the fish store, so they were already weak and dying before they are bought, or in bad conditions at their new home.

The ones that are really round and puffy look like they have dropsy (a fatal disease)
    but unfortunately goldfish are being purposely bred to have such hideous deformities that its hard to tell if they are sick, or if they are "supposed" to look that way..I hate that..I wish people would stop breeding deformed animals on purpose..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kentosaurs View Post
    My aquarium is really small and obviously they are cramped but oh well.....

Ken
    With that attitude, you should not be keeping fish at all..
    you are aware you are not treating them well, but you dont care..
    you are an irresponsible pet owner..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot no need to be rude, he can always go out and buy a new tank, they arent expensive.
    Gold fish in general arent too picky about their living conditions, for christ sake they have the highest range of tolerance to temperatures of any fish (Goldfish and other Carp) up to 108F before dieoff really begins to occur, not to mention are able to tolerate highly polluted water...
    not saying its right to keep them in a small tank, but at a small size, its not too big of a problem. i do think he needs a bigger tank, but you dont need to call him an irresponsible pet owner, as far as im concerned nearly all your posts are in some way, an attack on someone. Chill out.
    Our marine bio class has goldfish everywhere (they breed like mad for us) and some are kept in troughs, others in tanks, we have some some goldfish our teacher bought 4 years ago as feederfish, that are now at around the 12" mark
    No black moores or any of the other double tailed "Deformed" goldfish.........though ive personally owned many, and had about 10 in a 20 gallon tank. Personally id upgrade a bit, but if they are taken care of properly, the small tank only prevents them from growing any larger. The fish are too slow to remember how the stuff anyway, with a 5-8 second memory span, i dont think they really care so long as they have clean water and food.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not being rude..
    its not rude to point out deliberate animal cruelty..

If a family had a dog and kept it chained out to the doghouse 24/7, it would not be "rude" to say they are being irresponsible pet owners..

yes, many times people start out keeping fish in tanks that are too small..but they do it out of genuine ignorance..they simply dont know any better yet..they arent being bad pet owners on purpose..
    but if they learn the truth and still CHOOSE to keep the too-small tank, then they are choosing to be bad pet owners on purpose..thats a decision I cant respect.

and fish stores are terrible, because they say "oh sure, its fine to keep three goldfish in this 10 gallon tank"..because they only care about the sale..they know parents will spend $40 for a 10-gallon tank for their kids bedroom, but they wont spend $200 for a 29 gallon..so they myth is enforced and passed along..and the fish die far too young because of it.

If Kento was *asking* if his tank was too small, I would cut him some slack..but they fact that he said "My aquarium is really small and obviously they are cramped but oh well.." makes me lose all respect for him..I really find the "oh well" very offensive..because it says he KNOWS the tank is too small, but he doesnt care..

If im "rude" for saying that..then "oh well"..
    if it helps him learn more about fish care, and get a bigger tank, then my "rudeness" is worth it..
    pet lives would be improved and saved..
    if we say nothing, how will people ever learn?
    we do it all the time with CP's..we should do it will all other "pets" too..plant or animal.

Scot

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast