What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of my small pond

• Thread starter Devon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pond
Hey TF, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but it seems good. I just wanted to share some pics of my small pond in my backyard. here they are:
100_3187.jpg

100_3188.jpg

100_3190.jpg

100_3192.jpg

Thanks for veiwing!

Wow Devon, very nice pond you have there! You know, you could try growing some Utricularia or Aldrovanda's in there, that might be exciting. Nice Koi fish too!

Thanks! Yeah, I wanna try growing some aldrovanda sometime... but not this year. Yeah, i love the little fishys. :) They're actually feeder fish we bought. They're meant for feeding big fish and other reptiles. lol :)

Great rescue, Devon. That's the kind of fish I buy. Very nice pond, too!

thanks! I think I might actually try what pet said and try growing some Utricularia in the shallow parts.

That's a fun thing to have!

it looks great! You can buy a sarr from a local garden center(there may be a few) and put one in

cool, thanks everyone! Pet and awgaupp: I just realized that my pond is mostly shade... so I guess I can't have any carnivorous plants in there. :(

Careful, Devon, water hyacinth and water lettuce are really invasive. How do you keep the from covering the whole pond?

Those fish look like koi...so does that mean a lot of feeder fish are actually just the rejects from koi breeding?

I always thought of making one of these, but it seems like so much work. But they look really peaceful.

Those fish look like koi...so does that mean a lot of feeder fish are actually just the rejects from koi breeding?

Those fish are goldfish because they are devoid of whiskers. Feeders are usually goldfish, anyways.

Thanks for th comments everyone. And yes, they are very peaceful and actually aren't THAT much work... it's just the beggining of the pond and feeding the fish. (they need to be fed 3 times a day) Clue, to keep them from over-crowing our pond we just take them out. :) And yeah, I don't thinkk they would sell koi as feeder fish.. I think koi are expensive and koi get really big I think.

Is there a reason you need to feed the fish 3x a day? That sounds an awful lot to me. Pond fish have all kinds of nice algae, insects, mosquito larvae and natural food to munch on so there are alot of other things to eat throughout the day besides the prepared food you give them. Overfeeding isn't good for them, plus they end up wasting alot of food which just has to be cleaned out by the filter. When preparing them for winter I don't feed them once the temperature gets below 50 deg since their metabolism is too slow to handle processed food and it would kill them but they still munch on plenty of food in the pond and it is fine that they go without me feeding them for sometimes 6 months.

Just wanted to check though since it sounded like you were making the pond even more work than it needs to be. Although feeding the fish is a fun part, just don't overdo it.

You might still try Utrics in there, Devon, despite the shadiness. U. gibba isn't hard to come across here on the forums and they can get along well without full sun. Just make sure to keep the fish away from them - build a little rock wall in the shallows or something. Otherwise, any Utric starts may become fish food.
~Joe

ok, I will check on that allegedhuman, but we were told these fish eat a lot without going fat/overfed and to feed them 2-3 times a day, and they don't waste it. :)
seedjar, I also realized thaat my pond isn't distilled, it is just filtered... can they STILL handle that?

Filtered pond water is fine. I have utricularia inflata in one of my ponds. I only have two koi in that one. I tried it in my big pond and the fish ate all of it. There are a lot of fish in there.

I use my excess water lettuce and hyacinths as mulch. I think I'm going to have to start doing that with the utricularia. I've given away/traded two gallons this year and it's still thick. PM me if you want some.

wow, cool. And thankyou very much. But are you in Canada? jw, because I'm in Canada. ;) :)

Aquatic Utrics are tolerant of high water, Devon - they're an exception to the usual profile for Utrics. Or so I'm told.
~Joe

Back