Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bettas need help

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bettas need help

My wife and I have 2 bettas, both in separate bowls. Recently after the last water change we noticed one of them acting very sluggish and now he has little white specs all over him. I did some research and its sounds like he may have what I think is called Ick. The other looks like he is starting to get it as well.

Is there anything we can do? I find it odd that they both got sick at the same time. Can water or a chemical cause it?

Thanks.

Phil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup sounds very much like ick, we use to get it all the time in our aquarium. There is a product you can squirt in the water that will get rid it. I dont remember what it is though. The pet stores should have them in hand, ick isnt uncommon.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Tropica...ease-%28ich%29

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bettas in bowls seem to be subjected to fluctuating temperatures, even though they are tropic fish, optimal range from 75 - 80 F. Now, I'd get a larger divided tank for the both of them (assuming that these bowls are less than 1 gallon) with a heater, and here is a good link about ich and treating it.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any pet store should carry chemicals for ick. Try to get one that is organically based and that is a reputable brand (like Kordon), you don't want to fool around with this kind of stuff.

But first off, are you absolutely sure it's ick and not debris or something? You don't want to treat something that you don't have.

Also, if you don't already have one, get some type of filter. If you don't have one and are keeping them in really small bowls, you'll have to do weekly water changes if you want to keep them in proper health (bi-weekly would be optimal, but I know that isn't practical for most people).

Good luck!
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer" Baylorguy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone -

I am quite sure it is ick. Now it is covering one of the bettas and he is very sluggish. I really hope he can hold out until tomorrow afternoon I hate seeing animals suffer.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds pretty bad. Do a 65% water change to remove excess ick "spores."
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If their tanks have a heater, raising the temperature to about 85F will help rid of it. This is more stressful to the Ich parasite than it is to the fish. The Ich's life cycle is speeded up and the parasite weaker at this high temp. In fact, all other conditions being good, you can sometimes rid a tank of Ich just witht he warm temperatures for a period of about two weeks.
    Ich parasites are often in the water, but stress on the fish (like a chill or sudden change in water chemistry) can result in a sudden outbreak.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once they get over ich, I would provide a fishtank, with all the accessories, and a divider, so they don't kill each other. Bowl don't do much for their waste products / Nitrogen Cycle. They need a filter and above 80 F temps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast