What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bettas need help

• Thread starter Baylorguy
  • Start date

Baylorguy

"Oh, now he's a philosophizer"
My wife and I have 2 bettas, both in separate bowls. Recently after the last water change we noticed one of them acting very sluggish and now he has little white specs all over him. I did some research and its sounds like he may have what I think is called Ick. The other looks like he is starting to get it as well.

Is there anything we can do? I find it odd that they both got sick at the same time. Can water or a chemical cause it?

Thanks.

Phil

Bettas in bowls seem to be subjected to fluctuating temperatures, even though they are tropic fish, optimal range from 75 - 80 F. Now, I'd get a larger divided tank for the both of them (assuming that these bowls are less than 1 gallon) with a heater, and here is a good link about ich and treating it.

Any pet store should carry chemicals for ick. Try to get one that is organically based and that is a reputable brand (like Kordon), you don't want to fool around with this kind of stuff.

But first off, are you absolutely sure it's ick and not debris or something? You don't want to treat something that you don't have.

Also, if you don't already have one, get some type of filter. If you don't have one and are keeping them in really small bowls, you'll have to do weekly water changes if you want to keep them in proper health (bi-weekly would be optimal, but I know that isn't practical for most people).

Good luck!

Thanks everyone -

I am quite sure it is ick. Now it is covering one of the bettas and he is very sluggish. I really hope he can hold out until tomorrow afternoon :( I hate seeing animals suffer.

This sounds pretty bad. Do a 65% water change to remove excess ick "spores."

If their tanks have a heater, raising the temperature to about 85F will help rid of it. This is more stressful to the Ich parasite than it is to the fish. The Ich's life cycle is speeded up and the parasite weaker at this high temp. In fact, all other conditions being good, you can sometimes rid a tank of Ich just witht he warm temperatures for a period of about two weeks.
Ich parasites are often in the water, but stress on the fish (like a chill or sudden change in water chemistry) can result in a sudden outbreak.

Once they get over ich, I would provide a fishtank, with all the accessories, and a divider, so they don't kill each other. Bowl don't do much for their waste products / Nitrogen Cycle. They need a filter and above 80 F temps.

Thanks everyone -

The good news is both are getting MUCH better. I purchased a 5 day treatment, but looks like I'll have to do another cycle to fully rid Zeus of his Ick. Poor guy... I caught it pretty late in the cycle.

Anyway, thank you for everyone's help!

If you ever have a relapse of ick, I seem to remember some sort of home remedy that uses table salt. In a pinch, when aquarium medicine isn't handy, I'm sure you could find a recipe for the saltwater treatment online. Glad to hear things have turned out alright.
~Joe

baylorguy, ive had problems with ick in the past with some bettas which end up killing them fairly quickly. but I read doing some online research that RO water should never be used with them and its what i used with my previous bettas, now i have my first betta in 6 months and started mixing half well water(very hard water) and half ro, what were you using if i may ask?

im basically just trying to figure out if they are more susceptible to ick with straight ro water. treatment for ick with previous fish didnt do anything, it just kept getting worse even after water changes and adding a bunch of that blue drops stuff for me...

~billy

Back