Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Betta Breeding '10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of them, i always wanted to find the actual tree and try to grow it but i could never find it anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tree needs a warm humid climate and in the winter, it will lose most of its leaves. They also grow very large, 50m and are invasive as it is drought tolerant, salt tolerant, and has many seeds. My friend goes to Singapore all the time and she says the trees are gigantic as they are grown for shade. You could also try oak and beech leaves if you have it. Peat filtration works well to color up the water and provide a place for infusoria if you leave it on the bottom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yesterday i was going to pick up my sponge filters and air pumps etc, when we found that the pet shop had closed. is there any other way to provide little filtration for the fish? i had luck using sponge filters but now the only place i can find them is online. they don't have them at petco, and i still have to check countrymax.

are sponge filters the best way to go? knowing they provide safe filtration for fry along with an alternative food supply.

or can i go regular no filtered tank, maybe algae growth, live plants?, i did noticed i had a little algae starting to grow in my tank.

im also still looking around for a breeding pair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i decided i would get my pair from petco, and maybe the offspring from these too will help in getting me some offline, whether trade or i sell them.

From my other betta forum they have classified my fish as followed...

Female Royal blue crown tail

Red Male Cambodian based pastel crowntail

They only had females in veil tail and crowntail so i decided to go with the crowntail since they were a little more. If i am successful i might do multiple types, id also like to try plakats and halfmoons for sure. I almost picked up a halfmoon instead of the male crowntail but i decided to try to keep the tail type the same, and at the time i wasn't sure what would happen if i crossed a crowntail with a halfmoon. So next week if things go as planned i might be getting ready for the spawn, now i'm just conditioning them.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty full female, there! And the male... well... need I say more!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimscott View Post
    That's a pretty full female, there! And the male... well... need I say more!
    hahaha. i say she could even be bigger. feed her well on a diet of live foods if you can, and prime her for at least 2-3 weeks before breedings her. same thing with the male. he seems a bit on the small side (as do most petco bettas) but im sure he'll do fine. do expect high mortality rates during the first couple of times since chances are high that the father will be inexperienced. you might want to try to get another female betta if you can--since females take much longer to rebound than males.

nice fish though--for sure you will get 100% crowntail offspring. dont know what the colors will be though!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha thanks for the comments, she is pretty big, hopefully they do well and we can get a large survival rate, i have a feeding plan down on the other forum for the fry. I'm going to be conditioning them with frozen bloodworms because that seemed to work last time, i might get mosquito larva for them too.

100% crowntails~ I'm not sure exactly if they will be a 100 because i dont know their background history, but since they are both crowntails i think i have a pretty high chance of most being crowntails.

the male was named: Red cambodian based pastel Crown tail, and the female was just a royal blue, so this is where i'll start keeping track with the origin of both from petco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crown tail is a dominant/partial dominant trait. even while one parent is a crowntail and the other is not, all fry exhibit a significant degree of ray extensions in comparison to the parent that had no extensions.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast