Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Betta Breeding '10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks im still new to the colors and tail type genetics. i'll have to read up a bit more on them.

Also i dont think i ever got an answer on the other forum, but can you spawn the bettas in a tote that is about 10 gallons? Instead of right in a tank? i just think maybe instead i will try out starting them in something small and then putting them into a growout tank. I head i don't need filtration until about 4 weeks old, which is about the time when i move them to a growout tank.

thanks

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure the babies will be beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dustin View Post
    OK, thanks im still new to the colors and tail type genetics. i'll have to read up a bit more on them.

Also i dont think i ever got an answer on the other forum, but can you spawn the bettas in a tote that is about 10 gallons? Instead of right in a tank? i just think maybe instead i will try out starting them in something small and then putting them into a growout tank. I head i don't need filtration until about 4 weeks old, which is about the time when i move them to a growout tank.

thanks

colors will be completely unpredictable since the parents are of unknown stock.

ive spawned in less: 2.5 gallon--like i said before, it keeps the food concentration density high during the critical period before the fry require a growout tank. place lots of live plants like riccia, java fern, hornwort, cabomba, moss etc to help deal with the ammonia and waste output.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, so far so good 4 days in conditioning, they are 10x more active than they were than at the store, and the male has started to blow bubbles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha. im sure ANY betta that is saved from petco will be 10x more active! but especially since you're priming them, great job!

i remember finding a halfmoon female at petco once. i thought it was a mega steal. then i realized why it made it to petco---it had dropsy. and it was pretty advanced. died a week later.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear, I really wanted to breed halfmoons, but they didn't have a female halfmoon. So i went with crowntails . I also want to breed plakats but they dont sell those at petco. Found out i don't have a 10 gallon tank lying around we used to have like 2 or 3 of them and now there all gone?! so im looking around for those and im also looking for jars for the males 1/2 gallon minimum size.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you set up your tank for breeding? I used to use styrofoam coffee cups, water sprite, and straw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for this set up I'm looking for a 10 gallon tank, because i guess i don't have one lying around. For the breeding tank this time around hopefully with some luck, because the last couple times i haven't had luck.

My set up:

1. 10 or 30 gallon fish tank half full
    2. aquarium heater, hood, no filter
    3. lots of live plants, i see they even really enjoy the fake ones i put in there so now I'm trying to get some live ones, potted, floaters, and mid level. duckweed, hornwort, anacharis, java moss etc

i think that's about it, then i will be setting up my live food stations including..

Infusoria-i heard i could make it with straw, grass, or other greens soaked in water
    brine shrimp, i saw a cool set up on the betta forum ill try to get the pic over here or just post the link
    daphnia
    microworms, walter worms, banana worms (maybe)
    also heard of the egg yolk thing they call it the asian style, it's where you break up hard boiled egg yolk in water and shake it up, put it in a spray bottle and give the tank a couple sprays a day, but not too much because it fowels the water fast. not sure if im going to use this method either

then i heard around 4 weeks they should be moved to a growout, and depending on the number of fry i get, they will be moved to a 30 gallon, or ill just top off the tank. or the 55 gallon tank, this tank will also have sponge filters going

then i get to wait, pick out the males jar them and hopefully be able to find homes for them all

===========================
    there was the other thing about culling your fish, the deformed, unhealthy ones, i just got into that topic on the other forum, what do you think? should this be done and if so how? There main methods are clove oil, strike to the head, and fed to predator fish.

also are blood worms just mosquito larvae? It says mosquito larvae on the package, but also says bloodworms so i'd assume yes, just when i think about it now, i think of them as 2 different foods

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast