Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need filter advice

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodnative View Post
    I am not sure what you mean by Tiger Cichlids.......Tiger Oscars, convicts? What kind of algae eater (pleco?). Cichlids are big, hefty fish that can eat a lot, and therefore produce a lot of waste. A normal mechanical filter can handle waste only to a point. What is better is not to overfeed and do frequent, al least weekly water changes.............10-50% of the water, using a siphon that sucks all of the gunk out of the bottom gravel. Water changes will do far more to keeping your fish healthy and your tank clear than any power filter.
    Sorry I didn;t memtion the name correctly. The fish is Black Cinvict cichlid, and no it wasn;t the pleco algea eater. and the algea eater didn;t last a day in there, they cinvict only see them as appeitizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin-DS View Post
    It's usefull to know how much plants if any you got in the tank.
    No live plant just 2 plastic plant and 3 decoration

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Writer View Post
    To be quite honest, if what you have are Tiger Oscars you are going to have problems really soon, since normally people would recommend at least 50 - 75 gallons PER FISH... so if you have 6 in a 50G you will more than likely soon end up with aggravation issues as they get older...

As for filtration, i would strongly suggest to aim for no less than 4X turnover, so if your running a 50Gallon tank, you want 200G+ turnover every our... i personally have a 200G tank and am running it at 4X turnover, and still want more... since as most people will tell you, you can NEVER have too much filtration...

In fact, i know a lot of people who do 12X turnover on larger tanks which are overstocked to help keep Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia levels as low as possible...

Lastly, not to sound like a smart ***, but just cause you water is crystal clear doesn't always mean your water is fine, if your really serious about it, get a liquid test kit by API that tests those 3 parameters i mentioned above as well as PH... since these are all things that could come in very handy if you ever find yourself with sick fish in the future...

Sounds like a nothing can go wrong situation. They bought a 75 GPH filter for the tank but it doesn't see to be doing any good. and haven't test the water yet, will get them check at the petstore this weekend and hopefully find out whats wrong with it. my instinct tells me it has to be the water. because I have a 20 gallon tank at home, after i gave away the gold fish leaving the tank with 2 algea eater and 1 turtle. and the filter were off the whole time for about a month the water is still very clear. no cloud or anything just kinda yellowy. and at the top theres a bunch of bubble. look kinda nasty. so if the water condition is meet a 1x or 2x filter will do the job.

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once a pair of those convicts hook up and breed all hell will break loose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess i should have also asked did they cycle their tank before adding the fish??? coz if they didn't cycle the tank then that could also contribute to a lot of problems... such as spikes in water conditions...

Learning How To Multiply Indigo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cycle the tank?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got live plants? heavily planting with live plants will cycle the tank even faster---even up to the point where some people have skipped the cycling process entirely! that being said, use common sense--- feed your fish very VERY lightly initially to prevent an ammonia spike (plants will need to establish themselves before up-taking the fishwaste)

FORGET IT. I REMEMBERED YOU'RE WORKING WITH OSCAR CICHLIDS....yeah, you'll need to cycle the tank. you can do this though without fish, by either (dumping an ammonia source into the water) or throwing a serving size of fish food into the tank, and let nature take it's course. once the tank is cycled, you can place the fish in.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me. jpappy789's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freshwater cycling

The most important process in setting up an aquarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    Cycle the tank?
    yeah, cycling a new tank is a very very important step that most people who haven't been in the hobby long, or are completely new to it tend not to know about...

So if you haven't already done so i'd check that link posted above, and if you still need help then i can throw you a few more links which go into a bit more detail...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12